37: girlfirends dad

Barb POV:
It's two weeks after Valentine's Day and me and Y/N have been talking and we think it's time that I get to know her dad. Which is fair because she's been living with me and my dad for a couple of months now and she knows him like the back of her hand. So we decided to take a weekend to pop village and I will do my best to impress Y/N's dad.

-You know you don't need to impress him, right? He will be impressed at you putting on your pants the right way the first time, Y/N says as we get off of the motorbeetle and head to her pod.
-Maybe but he's still your dad and I wanna be on his good side, I say and she just rolls her eyes.
-Don't do that, I'm serious, I insist and she just laughs.
-Don't worry, he'll love you. I promise, at the end of this month it's gonna feel like you have 2 dads, she smiles and rings the doorbell on her fathers house. As the door handle rattles, I look nervously at Y/N, before taking a deep breath and watching the man in front of me.
-Y/N! He exclaims.
-Dad! She says back and hugs him.
-Oh how good it feels to have you back home, he says.
-It feels nice to be back. And besides that, I brought Barb! She says and mentions to me. He just gazes over at me.
-Hi king Peppy, I say.
-Ah Barb, what a nice surprise, he just says before turning back to Y/N.
-Let's have some tea and chat, he guides us both inside his house.

That night:
-I don't know, maybe he simply doesn't like me, I say as Y/N's in the bathroom, getting ready after being in the shower.
-You're reading too much into it Babe, she says as the door is slightly open.
-My dad is a very simple man, she then says as she gets out of the bathroom in her pajamas and unravels the towel on her head.
-And how's that supposed to help me? I ask.
-Well he's very forgetful. Maybe try helping him with stuff, ya know, like carrying stuff, she says and sits down on the opposite side of the bed. I stare down at the floor as I think and ponder. Then I feel Y/N's arms snake around me. I look up at her as she's poking her head out at me.
-Like I said, don't worry too much. He definitely already likes you, I can tell, she says. I smile and she kisses my cheek.
-Now let's sleep because I will have a long day of catching up with Poppy and Branch, she says and tackles me onto the bed.

The next day:
-Hey King Peppy, I run after the king.
-Ah, Hello Barb, Peppy answers.
-How are you? I ask.
-I'm pretty good, although it seems that I have misplaced my toolbox, he says.
-Your toolbox? I ask.
-Yeah well I was supposed to fix my staircase because I somehow broke it. But it's a little hard without the toolbox, he laughs.
-Well let me help you! Let me fix it, I say.
-No, you don't have to do that, he says.
-No no no, I want to it's the least I can do, I say.
-Well then, if you insist, he says and I light up inside. I go get him a toolbox and he shows me what's broken and I fix it.
-Thank you Barb, he thanks me as he shows me outside.
-Wait isn't there anything else I can do? I ask.
-Mmmm... no. Thanks though, he says and closes the door. I hang my ears as I begin sulking back to Y/N's. Why didn't he like me...? Hmmm. Well then... I'll just try again tomorrow. I'll just... help him with something better, something bigger. Yeah. With a new hope I almost jump home with glee in my feet.

The next day:
I run up to king Peppy as I see him try to climb up a step stool to fix someone's light. I excuse him and I do it instead.
-Thank you Barb but I could do that myself, he laughs.
-Well I just wanna help y- before I can finish my sentence he is gone and I purse my lips. But I will not accept defeat.

The day after that:
King Peppy understood that I would like to help and he gave me a list of tasks so that we can share the burden. This was a fresh start! So I started on the first task on the list.
-"Move the pile of wood"... what pile of wood? I start looking around but I saw no pile of wood. So I start searching... and searching... and searching. Let's just say I was looking for a long time before I found it... and it was big. Probably wood to make at least three new houses.
-I-Uh... I look down at the list and then up again.
-Well I guess I'll just have to start... I shrug.

Two days later:
I groan as the wood pile has finally been moved and the trolls receiving it thank me and go about their work. I smile but as fast as I turn the corner I groan painfully.
-Hey Barb! I hear and I look around. Turning the other corner is Poppy and she walks towards me.
-Hey Popcorn, what's up, I smile excessively.
-I'm good, how's work, she asks.
-Well I mean it's ok, I say.
-It's so nice of you wanting to help dad, he takes on a lot, Poppy says and places a hand on my arm.
-You don't say... I mutter.
-Anyways! I won't disturb you any longer, see you around Barb! She says and leaves and I sigh.
-Yeah, better get to it, I say and look at the next task.
-Oh you've got to be kidding me... I groan.

A week later:
I finally finished the tasks on my list with every bone in my body aching. I sit down on the bed and lay down. I don't understand why king Peppy doesn't like me? I've done the worst tasks on his to-do lists and done nothing but to help the community... what was wrong with me?
-Ouch, rough day? Y/N comes in and asks.
-Rough past 2 weeks, I correct her and sit up with great difficulty.
-I told you it was a bad idea to do too much, she says.
-I just want him to like me... but no matter what I do he doesn't seem to care, I rub my hands on my face. Y/N sits down next to me.
-You're doing way to much for something you barely have to do anything for... babe listen, she says and removes my hands.
-Dad doesn't care how many tasks you do or how much you can lift. He wants you to be able to take care of yourself, he wants you to take care of me and worship me, she says and waves her hair and I chuckle and look at her.
-See, that's the smile I love, she says.
-Well what am I supposed to do then? No matter what I don't seem to be good enough, I say.
-Ok I might've mislead you with saying you should help him. Try taking him out for a coffee, she says.
-Are you saying I should take your dad on a date? I ask.
-Yeah pretty much. Do you know how many dates I've gone on with your dad to the shop down the street? She raises her eyebrows.
-Eh fair enough, I say.
-So... you'll take it easy from now on? She asks.
-Yeah, I nod. She smiles.
-Good, she says and kisses my cheek.
-Because I don't want you yelling at me the whole way home that your butt hurts, she says and stands up.
-Hey, lifting a pile of wood hurts ok? I say.

The next day:
Me and king Peppy are awkwardly staring at each other over a table at a cafe. Well he was minding his own business and I am sweating through my shirt.
-So Uhm, hi, I say and he looks at me.
-Hello? He says amused.
-I Uh... I just wanted to spend some time with you... ya know, king to queen... kinda, I stutter.
-Ah yes, diplomacy, he agrees.
-Well yeah, but also I'm dating your daughter soooo... I say awkwardly.
-Aha... so it's that kind of talk, he says.
-Well yeah... I... I sigh.
-The only thing I've wanted for this trip is to get to know you, and I feel like you don't want to do that and I'm just really annoying, I say and look down.
-What? No Barb, you're not annoying I honestly just thought you wanted to show off in front of Y/N so I gave you the heavy lifting tasks, he says confused.
-What? I ask.
-Well at least for guys it's normal to show off in front of their girlfriends so I just thought... lesbians were the same? He says and I burst out laughing.
-I'm sorry, I press out between laughs.
-That's just... the opposite of what I thought and I just find it hilarious, I start calming down.
-Well most girls like that so I was trying to give you a lil' push, he shrugs.
-Oh wow... thanks, I say.
-Yeah you're welcome. How's your dad? He asks

And that was the start of a looooong loooong conversation about anything and everything.
We actually started heading out for a walk as we're talking and meet Y/N.
-Hey guys! How's it going? She asks.
-Were actually great, I explain and he agrees.
-See? I told you it would be better, she shoves me lightly.
-Yeah, thanks, I say.
-Ok now let's go I've got dinner to do, she says.
-But, babe we're talking, I say.
-Barb... she looks teasingly at me.
-Come on Y/N, we're having fun! King Peppy says.
-Well you can have fun tomorrow, we have two weeks left, Y/N says and takes my hand and starts dragging me off.
-Oh pleaaaasse can't he come with us? I ask.
-No! She refuses.
-Please Y/N! King Peppy follows.
-Dad go home, you two can play again tomorrow, she laughs and king Peppy stops. I look back and we pout at each other.
-Oh stop it Barb, Y/N says as we get to her pod and we get inside.