14: blood is thicker than water

Y/N:
I follow Barb out of the bus as it had landed right at the edge of a forest.
-So how long has it been? Barb asks.
-Hmmm? I ask. I wasn't really paying attention to anything at the moment. I just felt... empty?
-To meet your sister, Barb answers in a "duh" tone.
-Oh uhm... a couple of days, I say.
-The longest we've ever been apart if I remember correctly, I say as we hear yodeling nearby. The sound makes Barb grin wickedly and I gulp.
-Where's the string hidden? She asks as she looks straight ahead. I look nervously at her. This was the worst idea she'd had thus far.
-She's hidden it in her Uh... headband I believe, I answer. Just be honest. She appreciates honesty. Barb looks at me and nods.
-Great. It'll be an easy in n' out, she says before looking straight ahead again.
-Here's your motorbeetle, your majesty, Riff says and brings a scary looking motorbeetle to Barb and I take a deep breath.
-The others are ready on your co- nah I'll take two more. That troll can't be so much trouble, Barb interrupts Riff as she grabs the handles of the beetle. She swings up on the vehicle and revs the engine and then looks at me.
-C'mon let's go, she says and holds out a hand to me.
-Your rockness I don't think that's so smar- I don't care, Barb answers. I look apologetically at Riff, then back at Barb. I was nervous, to say the least. She was so confident and so happy, grinning like a fool. And I was lying, living a fake life. Yet it felt so real. I suck up my feelings and grab her hand, hoisting myself up behind her. She looks back at me and smiles. This time genuinely.
-Ya ready? She asks, revving the engine again. The action makes me giggle and smile.
-Sure, I say.
-Hold on to your pretty butt Princess, these things go fast! She says as the engine gets louder before we start going forward really fast. I immediately Yelp and throw my arms around her waist. She looks back at me and laughs.

After a couple of minutes we stop at a small clearing and I see Poppy getting tormented by Hickory and a small troll that looks like a Hickory junior. Barb nods for the two other rock trolls to go get Poppy and she gets held back.
-I thought I heard a yodel, Barb grins evilly and I hop off of the beetle. Poppy gasps.
-Queen Barb! She says. I step out from behind her.
-Y- Y/N? Poppy asks confused. Barb walks up to the small troll why victoriously gave her the string.
-What, we lost you, I thought you went back home to pop village! Poppy says. My heart aches.
-Poppy, I say sadly.
-You left me out there... I say. She looks sadly at me. It wasn't the whole truth. Yet it wasn't a lie. Everything I do is like walking on a tightrope.
Barb extends the pop string and a note plays.
-The final notes of pop... It will never invade anyones brain again, she says victoriously and hides the string in her bracelet. A lump builds in my stomach. I was... never gonna hear my kind of music again.
-I'm not gonna let you do this! Poppy starts fighting against the grip she's held in. Barb finally turns around and gets a good look at the aggravated pop troll.
-This is who I've been worried about? This little pipsqueak, Barb snickers and tauntingly leans down and smiles at her. I hold my breath.
-I'm not gonna stop fighting until I make things right! Poppy says. Barb only nods sarcastically.
-And I'm not a pipsqueak! Poppy yells.
-Uh, yeah you are, cause I'm like a whole centimeter taller than you. And your sister for that matter, Barb says and measures herself to Poppy.
-Leave me alone! Poppy yells and kicks in the air.
-Leave you alone? Uh I'm sorry, you were the one who was so desperate to be best friends, Barb says and dangles a burnt card in front of Poppy's face. I let out the breath finally so that I wouldn't faint.
-Get your hands off me! Poppy orders the trolls behind her.
-Y/N do something! She yells at me. I only look at her.
-Ooohhh ok, I get it, you're fiesty, I respect that. Strong woman to strong woman, am I right? Barb says.
-But-uh... asking your sister for help? Really? I mean she's already 20% cooler than you but you might've just bumped her up a notch, Barb says and Poppy looks confused at me. She was scared. I started wondering where Branch was. He was supposed to look after her so she wouldn't do something stupid... like getting caught. Barb mentions for me and I walk up to her. She casually throws her arm around my shoulders.
-But you know who else was fiesty? Barb asks. Poppy looks confused between us. Barb looks at me and mentions for me to go on.
-Pop village, I look directly at Poppy, who gasps.
-Oh no. No! You wouldn't do this Y/N! Poppy says.
-Oh but she did. She was such a good way finder too, can't believe I didn't notice that before, since ya know... Barb cuts herself off as she looks at me, and then at Poppy.
-We've gotten quite close, she says in a low voice. I become pink in the face but try shaking it off.

-Y/N how could you betray your own people!? Poppy asks as the bus comes closer to us. I only stare at her, trying to keep my emotions on the low.
-It's for the best of everyone. Then everyone would be the same and there would be no more fighting, I say. Barb laughs as she watches the cell door open.
-You're right about that, Barb says. The two rock trolls who are holding her start pushing her towards the cell and she gives them a fight. Barb and I follow her in her movement.
-You listen to me! I am the troll in the prophecy who is going to end all of this! I will stop you! Poppy yells as she gets thrown in the cell. Barb shrugs as she once again throws an arm around me. I cross my arms in front of my chest. A small irritating and nagging feeling scratches my chest. Barb scoffs.
-Do you hear that poprock? Pipsqueak is gonna stop us! Barb calls me another nickname. It's been weird. She started calling me and my sister nicknames. Although mine were more flattering.
-She could try, I muster up the biggest smirk I can and Barb laughs. Poppy gets taken aback and tears form in her eyes.
-Now let's go get this party started! Barb shouts proudly as she turns me around and walks with me back into the bus. Right before I get in I look back. Poppy had started crying and I look sadly at her.
-This is for your best... I whisper sadly, before finally got asking inside and start acting like I'm one of the rock trolls once again.

-So Poprock, what's your costume for the concert? Barb asks.
-My costume? I ask. Barb nods enthusiastically as her dad comes rolling up beside her.
-Uhhh... I say and awkwardly show off what I'm wearing. Barbs mouth hangs open.
-You don't have a costume! Well we gotta fix that! You can't go onto stage looking like that! Barb says and she's immediately brought a rack of costumes.
-I'm going on stage? I ask surprised.
-Hell yeah you are! You're the co-writer of the song, of course you're gonna be on stage and play with me! Barb says and picks out costumes. The ones she didn't really like she put in Riffs arms. He struggles to hold it all together and finally topples over. Barbs dad stares at a shimmery fabric and smiles.
-Oohhhh, shiny, he says and touches it gently. Barb grabs that exact costume and looks at it. She holds it up in front of her to see what I'd look like in the costume. Then she throws it at me.
-Wear that to the show. You'll look like a real rockstar, poprock, Barb says. I look down at the costume, then up at Barb smiling.
-Why poprock? I ask out of the blue.
-Well because you were pop and now you're rock. Poprock, she explains and pushes the rack of costumes away.
-Why? Don't you like it? She asks.
-No no, I like it it's just... came so sudden, I cover up but feel my face getting warm and pink again.
-Meh don't think about it, it's just a fun name, and I can swear I saw Barbs face flare up as she says that. I grin playfully.
-Ok "your rockness" I elbow her in the arm and she laughs and hits me back. We laugh together for a while before she smiles at me.

What have I gotten myself into..?