🔥23🔥

Above is Wayne

______________________________________

||****||

Gem follow Julie to her house as agreed. Reaching the front door, Julie attempted using her keys to unlock the door, only, to her surprise, did she find it ajarred. The chirping sounds of  Crickets that night, was louder than usual and the night breeze saw it fit to blow calmly.

The varanda light was on and the music playing on the home stereo in the living room was a bit loud too. It was the song Julie and Paul danced to on their first date. It was her favorite song.

“Honey!” She called almost missing a step and instinctively, Gem guided her firmly with her arm around Julie's hip.

“Careful.” Gem said aloud.

They strolled into the living room. And feeling quite relieved from the excruciating pain, Julie managed to stand up straight.

She twisted the top of her ring clockwise as her eyes traveled through the room.

“Do you feel that?” she asked Gem, who had left her side to admire a picture that hung on the white painted wall close to the flat screen TV.

“This is beautiful but also distant.” Gem said still looking closely at the picture try to figure out if the smile on the lady in the portrait meant happy or worried.

“You know, when I took that, I was still—” She paused and walked towards Gem “This picture was missing, the last time Roe ransacked my house, and how did it get here?” Julie looked at Gem, mystified.

“Darling, you’re home.” A deep familiar voice said behind them “And you brought a friend.” He smiled warmly at Gem who had seen him coming before Julie could figure out the direction his voice came from.

Julie turned quickly to search then her eyes fell completely on her husband, Paul “Baby!” He was standing right there, this time, looking more handsome in his deep-blue shirt untucked from the pair of black trouser he wore. His tie was missing from the collar of his shirt and the first three buttons on it were unclasped.

Plastered on his beat, yet handsome face, was a smile that reached his eyes and seeing his spread out arms inviting her, she moved hurriedly towards him and hugged him “When did you return?” She asked.

“This afternoon." He replied "I stopped over at Mr. O’Donnell’s house but I was told you left so, I came home.” He informed, kissing her lightly.

He walked closer to Gem and gestured “Hi, I’m Paul.” He introduced with an out stretched arm.

“Nice to meet you, I’m Gem.” She said, avoiding taking his hands in hers but smiled instead.

Paul slowly withdrew his hands “Nice to meet you too.” He maintained the smile on his face “I made dinner. Gem, would you like to join us?” He asked politely.

“Sure, thanks.” Gem accepted, flashing a side smile to him then returned her gaze to the picture that stole her attention earlier.

Julie left Gem in the living room and went to help Paul prepare the table. Paul had proved himself to be an excellent cook. Julie could remember the early days of her marriage to Paul, he had always challenged her in the kitchen and more than once had he emerged victorious. Julie would always argue that she let him win so he won't feel bad but deep down, she knew it was a lie. Paul was just simply the best.