Part II - Cosmetics Goddess: 24. Xinyue Dance

Although he had threatened to visit Cui Xi constantly, the Seventh Prince Zhao Ling Xian, hadn't stepped foot into the pleasure house once since their last meeting. In fact, he'd been taken up with national affairs as soon as he returned to his manor. 

While he had left the care of the Anxi* military camp to his most capable subordinates Murong Yan and Bai Zhi Yi so he could hurry back to report to the Emperor, there wasn't a moment to breathe. Reporting into the palace regarding the aftermath of the uprising in the west, initiating an investigation into the Gao family, handling general affairs of state handed to him by his father, the Emperor...everything had piled up high on his desk awaiting his return.

Today was actually the first time in months that he'd been able to get away for leisure, and he had chosen to spend it with his youngest brother...thus it was more by coincidence that he somehow ended up at the Hundred Flower House.

"There's going to be a good show, A'Xian. Come watch," the Ninth Prince, Zhao Ling Zhi grinned, leaning over the balcony.

Ack...who knew this brat wanted to come to this shitty place?

Smiling indulgently at his youngest brother, the Seventh Prince also leaned over, noticing that there was suddenly the sound of tinkling bells. He looked down and saw a double row of veiled dancers step onto the raised platform below leading a woman completely covered from head to toe in red. The dancers were scantily clad, but the woman in the centre... Silver bells had been sewn to the edges of the long veil over her head. The material was fairly sheer, but the material covering the lower half of her face had been doubled keeping her features concealed. The long black hair was bound by a silver circlet with a tear drop shaped turquoise, veined with silver, hanging in the middle of the forehead. Red tassel earrings hung down almost to the shoulder. He could see that the woman's eyes were heavily lined with black kohl and they were closed. Jewels seem to twinkle at the outer corner of the eyelids. The silver beaded bodice was tightly and revealingly cut, exposing the tops of creamy breasts. A silver beaded hip belt hung from wide hips tied over a multi-split skirt. If she turned or moved, her legs would be bare for all to see. He could see silver bells and fine silver chains decorating the anklets and the bracelets she was wearing. Strands of silver hung on a ring from each middle finger connecting back to the heavy silver bracelets. Her entire body tinkled as she raised her arms over her head, crossing her wrists while fanning her fingers, and shifting one hip to the side.

"Fascinating..." said the Ninth Prince, a little faintly. Zhao Ling Xian cut his little brother a look, but then the musicians entered. He noted the exotic costumes, the drums, the strange flutes. They sat and at some hidden signal began to play a hypnotic foreign tune. The wail of the flutes cut across his senses, drawing him to the rail.

The crowd's hum shifted and the atmosphere was instantly charged with anticipation as the dancers fanned out around the woman in the centre.They spread out and then bowed at the waist, pulling in towards the centre at the same time, like a huge flower opening and closing.

There were gasp and shouts when the young woman at the centre raised the long veil high and started to dance. The Ninth Prince gaped: it was like nothing he had ever seen before. The girl's body bent in ways he hadn't realized were possible. Hips undulated, and the veil was skilfully swirled to reveal and conceal the swaying body. The crimson skirt flared when she pirouetted, displaying bare legs and those sensuous silver covered ankles, and bare little feet.