Part III - Beloved of the Seventh Prince: 42. New Year

Even though the issue of the tiger tally remained, the East Palace* made no further moves against her, so Cui Xi put it from her mind in order to focus on new year preparations. Glad of something to distract her, she spent three whole days in the kitchen, and when it was all done, she threw herself on the floor of her room and groaned.

Xiao Yu laughed at her.

"Thanks again for your help. I wouldn't have been able to do it all by myself," she said.

Xiao Yu flopped down beside her and then helped her into the chair in front of the mirror.

"I'll have Jian and Dun help bring up water, A'Xi. You should take a good rest."

Xiao Yu hugged her around her neck, and then exuberantly ran away to run the errand. Su Rou hovered in the background, smiling.

Cui Xi laughed softly, shaking her head.

Once she had bathed and carefully dressed herself with Su Rou's help, she had both Xiao Yu and Xiao Hei come in to her room.

"I have new clothes for both of you," she said. "And I want you to wear them for our meal tonight."

Xiao Hei blushed, and Xiao Yu clapped her hands in delight when they saw the clothes laid out on the table. Xiao Yu slowly shook loose the blush pink silk dress, something far finer than she was used to and Cui Xi pretended to look elsewhere as the girl wiped her joyful tears away.

"Do you like it?" Cui Xi asked, smiling.

"I like it! I like it!" Xiao Yu cried.

Xiao Hei, on the other hand, clutched the dark blue robes he was holding. The cloud pattern on the belt and curling around the shoulder and collar suited him perfectly. He had owned good clothes, but never a set gifted with as much warmth or sentiment. Although it was not silk, the Mistress had chosen a very fine weave of cotton cloth and it was supple and practical for ease of movement, perfect for someone who practiced martial arts.

"I thought about buying you silk, but decided this would be more useful," Cui Xi said apologetically, misunderstanding his frozen expression.

He shook his head.

"Xiao Hei gives many thanks to you Mistress! This is more than Xiao Hei deserves," he said, his voice a little rough.

"You are my family," Cui Xi said simply. "I wanted us to be happy passing our first new year together," she said. "But I have some other things for you as well..."

At this, Xiao Yu broke into tears again and Cui Xi burst out laughing.

"A'Xi this is too much!" she bawled. "I can't believe it!"

"Why is it so hard to believe? I have never considered you anything other than my family. These are just small things..."