Part V - Mistress of Hidden Night City: 90. Other World

Taking the two Anxi men with him, Zhao Ling Xian left as soon as it became dark and somehow made it out of the city without mishap. He had made Cui Xi promise to go to Zhao Ling Ye with the imperial will, but before she fulfilled that task, she had something important to ask her Yifu...which had lead to a night run...

BANG!

Yang Ming Xi was startled off his stool where he'd fallen asleep, when his adopted daughter, dressed completely in black, slammed the door open to his medicine room. Her expression was off and before he could move, she had actually reached for his chest.

Misunderstanding her intentions, he shifted backwards, but then as he blocked and swiftly turned his wrist over hers, he realized that there is no force behind it. From the surprised and then hurt look on her face, he realized that she had been reaching toward him for reassurance, and instead his actions had only confirmed his guilt. He stared at her and knew that he could no longer hide the things that he had been hiding.

He felt sad as she stood in front of him with her eyes on the floor, her shoulders hunched.

"So, was I useful to you, Yifu...?" she asked in a low voice, slowly looking up.

"A'Xi, you know I had my own difficulties..." he softly, his heart twinging at the hurt on her face.

"Yifu, why didn't you tell me?" she accused. "You knew that I came from another world and was in the body of the princess of Xiyu and said nothing! Why didn't you warn me?"

He sighed as she jerked her hand away from his grasp.

"Yes...I knew. I knew the moment I saw you by the river," he acknowledged with a sinking heart. "I also knew from your doubled pulse that you weren't an ordinary person..."

Her amber eyes flickered, but she wasn't as angry as she thought she would be...only relieved that he had finally said it out loud.

"Sit," he instructed gruffly, pointing at a table in the corner. Distracted, he peaked into the teapot and then grunted. It was still warm, so he poured some for A'Xi before pouring a cup for himself.

"It was never my intention for you to get mixed up in the troubles of the kingdom, but your arrival in Tiansheng immediately caught the interest of Zhao Ling Ye and the emperor. The emperor understood immediately that you were from another world, but I never told your master. Even if I had not reported your existence in the beginning, I think the result would have been the same, as there really is no escaping that bi'anhua on your back..."

Cui Xi didn't answer as she had also come to the same conclusion. Whatever she did, the tattoo on her back would probably have been discovered.

"I also assume Zhao Ling Xian told you about Hidden Night City?" he asked abruptly.

She nodded.

"Yes, I figured as much," he said. "Zhao Ling Shaung gave you the imperial will, didn't he? That old bastard...The Crown Prince has been tearing the palace apart looking for it."