Part IV - The Western Emerald: 79. Sword

They returned to the manor the next morning, but Cui Xi was so tired out that he put her in the carriage to sleep, and she actually didn't wake up until they had already arrived. She woke in Zhao Ling Xian's arms, just as he was carrying her into her own room in the Kingfisher courtyard.

"Why are you so lazy?" he asked, chuckling. "You slept the entire way..."

She rubbed her eyes and blinked.

"Did we come back already?" she asked sleepily, cuddling against him like a happy kitten. "I've been more tired lately."

"Yes, we did. You also made me carry you the whole way into the manor. So heavy," he teased. "Fat and lazy...is this what happens when I leave you, wife?"

She made a face at him.

"Your dad is fat!" she snapped at him. "Who says I'm fat?"

"Are you insulting the emperor?" he teased. "That's a capital offence, you know..."

She clapped her hands over her mouth, realizing her mistake, and then hit him when he laughed.

"Don't be afraid! Even if the entire world and Father Emperor is against you, I would stand at your side," he laughed softly.

"Don't joke about that!" she responded, putting her fingers over his mouth in shock.

It was a good thing that Zhao Ling Xian enjoyed a decent relationship with the emperor. It was not uncommon for kings to fear their sons revolting and it wasn't something to laugh about. Dynasties had fallen into ruin over much less...

He saw something flicker through her eyes.

"Are you worried for me?" he asked, touched, pulling her hand away from his lips.

She closed her eyes, brow creasing, and sighed.

"Who says I'm worried about you?" she said quietly.

Deciding not to tease her anymore, he stepped over the threshold and simply set her down in her room. Directing Su Qing and Su Rou to look after her, he turned to search for Murong Yan.

***

He thought she would stay in her courtyard and rest, but half a shichen later she came to see him.

"Since you've returned, your Highness, I prepared a gift for you..." she said shyly, taking something from her sleeve.

She held out an ebony box to him.

Taking it with his long, elegant fingers, Zhao Ling Xian uncoupled the lid and carefully set it aside. Nestled in the interior of the lined box was a sword tassel. He pulled it out, dangling it in front of his face, admiring the intricate lucky knot and the bright green cylinder of jade that had been tied just below it. He rubbed the jade into his palm and instantly it warmed and brightened – such good jade!