Part IV - The Western Emerald: 64. Confession

Cui Xi thought he was going to threaten her with another contract, but then the Seventh Prince merely jerked his head at Murong Yan and said he had pressing business at the horse farm.

Turning his mount, he waved at her with a boyish grin, and then the two spurred their horses away, leaving her open-mouthed and alone with Xiao Hei. Simmering, she couldn't decide if he was toying with her, or if he was really trying to spare her further embarrassment in front of the Murongs.

Seeing the minute changes flickering across his her face, Xiao Hei gathered that the Mistress needed a moment to compose herself and patiently waited for her to speak first.

Cui Xi gritted her teeth. There was no reason to linger now that Zhao Ling Xian had agreed to help with Xiao Hei's problem, but something about his words nagged at her. Turning her mount in a tight circle with only her legs, Cui Xi flicked the bridle against her hand.

Ah!

Despite what Zhao Ling Xian had said just now, the two men were actually heading in the opposite direction from the horse farm, circling back towards the city.

Did he think I wouldn't notice? No...I think it's that he doesn't want to worry me.

With that, Cui Xi brushed her suspicions aside and assumed that whatever business Zhao Ling Xian had, it likely had to do with the character written on the arrow, and what they'd been investigating in the northwest.

Even though it probably had nothing to do with her, she shuddered, feeling fingers of dread crawl up her spine as she recalled what Su Qing had reported about the obliteration of the Gao family. Obviously when the Seventh Prince felt like it, he was generous, but when he didn't...that he had found a convenient excuse to take revenge for her made her realize that Zhao Ling Xian was actually quite a frightening person.

Scary. Did he think I wouldn't find out about Gao Wei's death?

Sighing, she turned back to Xiao Hei.

"Are you angry?" she asked, finally turning to Xiao Hei.

He shook his head.

"Obviously it's a good plan," he said, referring to the engagementwith Xiao Yu. "Everyone knows how much the emperor secretly cherishes Yang Ming Xi, but Xiao Yu won't agree," he said quietly. "And I don't wish to force her...or you..."

"Nonsense! We won't know until we talk to her, will we?" Cui Xi smirked. "As for my part...let's not talk about that now. Come on...I need to clear my head...Tcha!" she cried with a grin, flicking the bridle, and urging her mount into a full gallop.

Xiao Hei sighed heavily.

Once again I feel like Mistress just comforted me and stuffed down her own problems...I can't let her protect me like this anymore...

Turning to chase after her, Xiao Hei resolved to speak with his brother.