Part IV - The Western Emerald: 61. Daughter-in-Law

Before she had any more time to think about what she was going to do with Xiao Hei's situation, she recognized two maids from the imperial consort's palace who smiled on seeing her. It was clear that they'd been waiting for her for some time.

"My Lady," the younger of the two greeted her with a curtsy. "Are you alright?" she whispered in an undertone. "Her Highness is aware of the situation. She says if you would prefer to leave the palace there is no need to visit today."

"Her Highness is gracious, but I wish to see her as planned. I also need to ask her forgiveness for being delayed."

"My Lady there really is no need. Her Highness has already said so..."

Cui Xi insisted on going, though she limped slightly.

"Mistress? You're bleeding through your dress..." Su Qing whispered, as she caught her arm.

She laughed ruefully.

"It's just my knees, Su Qing. I'll be fine."

When she finally entered the consort's palace, her mother-in-law wouldn't allow her to kneel. Instead she fussed over her, and had the maids clean and bandage her knees.

"Your Highness..." she protested. "Your Highness, there's no need..."

"Who are you calling your Highness, Xi'er?" the consort frowned, but her eyes sparkled with mischief.

"Mother Consort...this daughter was not filial for making you wait. I was not good," said Cui Xi.

"If you know it, that's good!" the consort chuckled warmly. "Making a fuss for Murong Shi in front of his Majesty...the emperor indulges you, but you must be more careful of your position. What would I tell A'Xian, if something happened to you?! But never mind that: what are you going to do about Murong Shi's marriage?" she asked.

Cui Xi flinched. Eeek! that was direct...I forgot who I was talking to for a moment!

"Mother Consort is very well informed," she said, trying not to sound stiff.

"Although I am from the branch family, I come from the Zhangs. I know that his Majesty intends to restrain the Murongs through their young Shizi. With Murong Shi being almost twenty now, it is time for his marriage. Tang Wen Ran is actually not a bad match..." she continued on blithely, deliberately ignoring the look on her daughter-in-law's face.

What will she do? the consort smiled internally.

Cui Xi sighed.

"Mother Consort, as you know, I can't make that decision for Murong Shi. Whatever he decides to do, I'll support him, but I feel badly for Xiao Yu being caught in the middle."

"Ah, you mean Yang Wan Yu?" asked the consort thoughtfully. That's right...that old fart is still hanging around after all this time...