Part IV - The Western Emerald: 70. Proposal

Carefully tucking the ring and her silver pendant back into her collar, Cui Xi sighed and straightened.

"General Murong, I was going to let A'Yan explain this to you, but I can see that I should also give you an explanation," she said calmly.

"My Lady..." Murong Yan said softly, reddening.

"Murong Yan, you-!" the General seethed. His face also reddened, but with rage.

"Xiao Hei, go call his Highness back over. I see that this cannot be settled without his presence. Go quickly," Cui Xi said quietly.

"Y-You!" the General slammed his hand onto the table, shattering the teacups and pot, as Xiao Hei leapt over the wall without a backward glance.

Turning and pointing his finger at Cui Xi, he growled.

"You-! What kind of spell did you put on them?! I'm his father, but that one climbs over my head to obey you! As for you—" he turned and pointed at Murong Yan, but before he could get the words out, Murong Yang had stood and said very quietly.

"Father...did you ever love my mother?" he asked.

Murong Duan jerked his head sharply.

"The you right now doesn't have the right to ask that! Your mother would be ashamed if she knew that you have given that ring to a lowly woman from a pleasure house!" he seethed.

"Father...if I love someone, I'd always want to be with them. I'd wish to stay by their side, to protect them, no matter who they are. Mother left so early, but I'm sure you wish that you had been able to do the same."

Murong Duan did not answer, but only snorted, turning away.

"What do you know? Undisciplined and naïve."

"No, you're wrong Father. I've already decided that there is only one person who can wear that ring, and in this life, my heart will not change," Murong Yan said calmly.

Murong Duan looked at his eldest son in shock, but after a moment he heaved a sigh.

"I know your personality well enough, but my son, you will live to regret it."

"No," Murong Yan said with a small laugh. "I won't, Father."

Murong Yan looked over at Cui Xi who stood open-mouthed. His gaze was filled with an indescribable emotion, and she felt her stomach drop. Murong Yan...

That determined look...thought the general. Ah, I see now. It is hopeless to try to persuade him. He looks like his mother when he smiles like that, and he is as stubbornly calm as she was.

Cui Xi's stomach fluttered. Murong Yan was not a talker. It was normally impossible to hear him say three things together at any time. What he had said in the last few minutes was more than he had said the entire time she'd known him. She also felt hugely guilty. To hear him say his feelings out loud in such an embarrassing way when she didn't return his feelings must have been humiliating and yet he didn't show it.