Epilogue:

Cui Xi stood staring at the great door carved into the side of the back mountain of the palace grounds and twisted the reins of her horse. Stealing a look at her husband, she saw him grit his teeth.

"Are you sure you're alright? You didn't have to come with me..." Cui Xi said to Zhao Ling Xian, looking hesitant. She reached up to cup his cheek, standing on her tip toes while searching his face.

"I promised to escort you up to here...do you want me to break a promise to you?" he asked tersely, trying not to show his exasperation.

Sighing, Zhao Ling Xian bent his head, affectionately turning his face into her small hand like a big dog seeking her touch. His heart made a small thump as he took in her small frowning face.

Ah...she is still feeling guilty after all this time. Did she really love him so much? he complained to himself. Aaah, how can I still be jealous of my brother? Why am I behaving like a shameful idiot?

Cui Xi made a noise as she watched the flicker of emotions over his face.

"A'Xian?"

"Go. You should see him. He has missed you for almost seven years now. Don't you think you're a little remiss as his disciple?" he said teasingly, trying to make it sound casual.

She sighed. He's still jealous after all this time. I shouldn't blame him. It's not easy to watch your wife visit your old love rival...

Tao waited patiently while the prince and his mistress stood at the entrance of the mausoleum. Still after so many years, Master...she came back to see you. All my guarding has not been in vain.

"Welcome Mistress," said Tao, holding the torch. "Your Highness...?"

The Seventh Prince shook his head.

"I don't want to disturb him."

I understand, but Master would have been glad to see you too, Tao thought to himself.

Instead, Tao only nodded, and Cui Xi followed him into the darkness, leaving A'Xian on the outside.

It was cold inside the tunnel, but Cui Xi had assumed that would be the case as the royal mausoleum was carved into the side of the back mountain behind the palace. Originally, she had not wanted to have her master buried here, but the emperor had refused her request (sent through Zhao Yu) to have his older brother buried elsewhere. In the end, Zhao Ling Ye was a prince of royal blood, and he could only take his place with his ancestors.

Cui Xi walked slowly forward as the corridor finally widened into the large antechamber.

"Here, this way..." said Tao, gesturing to the corridor to the east, under the sign of the dragon.

"W-What...!" she muttered to herself...why the eastern side!?

Tao coughed, looking slightly embarrassed.