Part IV - The Western Emerald: 74. Trial

"Three days...it's not enough," said Zhao Ling Xian softly as they exited the noble consort's palace.

Ming Yen ran over to grab Cui Xi's hand and squeezed it, but the Fifth Prince did not allow her to linger and escorted his consort away, though she turned her head back twice with the most reluctant expression.

The Fifth Prince only glanced coolly at his brothers, the corners of his mouth tipping up ever so slightly.

"Mother Empress, I will escort you..." the Crown Prince said with a sigh. His expression was cold, and it was not hard to guess what he would say to his mother upon the return to her palace. He nodded to his Seventh brother, who curtly returned the gesture.

The empress smiled and strolled away, completely unconcerned by the trouble she had instigated.

"I have to talk to Yifu..." said Cui Xi, turning to Zhao Ling Xian.

He nodded, turning slightly towards the closed doors of the consort's chamber. Yang Ming Xi was still inside the emperor.

It did not take the time of an incense stick for the general of the Imperial Guard to appear before them. He looked extremely uncomfortable as he bowed to the Seventh Prince.

"Your Highness, we have come to take your concubine to the imperial prison...I apologize for the offence," he said politely stepping back.

"It's alright, you're just doing your duty, but I will accompany her. Su Qing, Su Rou," he gestured at her maid servants to follow.

"Here, your Highness," Su Qing and Su Rou stepped to each side of Cui Xi.

"I will send Doctor Yang to see you both," An He said, waving at them from his position in front of the door. The emperor was still being seen to and he would pass the message on.

The Seventh Prince nodded.

"Thank you An Gong Gong."

"Oh no, Your Highness! I don't dare!" he said, holding up his hands and smiling indulgently. The Seventh Prince had always been one of his favourites and as was his Imperial Consort Mother, Consort Zhang. Although An He was not entirely sure about the Lady Wu Cui Xi, he did not think poorly of her either. But then, anyone who could cause three princes and the entire kingdom to fall into confusion over her was not to be underestimated.

***

Three days was indeed too short, thought Cui Xi as she knelt in the great audience hall of the emperor, listening to her Yifu being questioned. Pale, with bruising on her face, she stared straight ahead with an even expression even though she was afraid.

"Master Yang: Can you confirm what kind of poison, it is?" asked the Minister of Justice, Yao Shen Yi.

This being a family matter, the emperor had deferred judgement to Minister Yao so as not to appear too partial. Although, it was not clear what would happen if he did not agree with the minister's judgement on the matter.