Part V - Mistress of Hidden Night City: 104. Ten Thousand Years of Life

"What's the meaning of this?" asked Zhao Ling Fei, a few days before his enthronement ceremony. He regarded the two men kneeling before him with some degree of unease. One was Tao and the other was Zhao Yu.

He was receiving them both in the dowager empress's palace. He was using it as a temporary residence since the East Palace had suffered some fire damage, and workers were still clearing debris in front of the main audience hall in preparation for the upcoming ceremony.

Tao patiently held out two sealed letter tubes, arms outstretched above his bowed head to the man who would soon be the emperor of Tiansheng. Zhao Ling Fei motioned to a servant who hastily received them and rushed both tubes into his hands. He gripped them in surprise, instantly recognizing the seals. However, what he felt didn't show on his face.

"Your Highness, one tube contains the final will of the Eldest Prince Zhao Ling Ye. The other is a personal letter from the new City Master of Hidden Night City..."

Zhao Ling Fei stood up to hide his expression.

"Don't stand on ceremony...please stand to speak..." he said, realizing that they were both still kneeling.

Giving their thanks, they rose, respectfully waiting for him to speak first.

Fiddling with the tubes, he was instantly glad that he had sent his meddlesome wife into the garden with his equally meddlesome grandmother. Who knows what they would have done if they knew that this is why Tao and Zhao Yu had come to see him.

"Does my Seventh Brother know...?" he asked quietly, sitting back down after he had composed himself.

Zhao Yu shook his head quite seriously.

"Your Highness, as you know the Master of Hidden Night City has a special duty to Tiansheng. Those duties remain separate from the affairs of the royal family and the City Master will only intervene when it is necessary. This is an iron rule for all parties involved. As such, my Lord Tao and myself are here representing Hidden Night City in our official capacity as branch masters."

"Is that so, Cousin?" Zhao Ling Fei asked softly. "Branch master...I never actually thought you would join Hidden Night City just to force your brother, Zhao Lu, to take up all his responsibilities. Interesting. You may continue."

Zhao Yu glanced at Tao and nodded. So, Zhao Ling Fei was accepting things, but not without questioning it. This was not necessarily a bad thing. Realizing that he was receptive, they immediately explained the contents of the will and the instructions in the personal letter.

Once he had heard what the two men had to say, Zhao Ling Fei was floored.

Of the things left by Zhao Ling Ye, the Chrysanthemum Tower and the Eight Treasure Boutiques, as well as the manor, the servants, and an annual income were ceded to Tao. However, the contents of two full treasure rooms were to go directly to the imperial treasury for the express purposes of rebuilding the country, particularly for feeding, clothing, and rebuilding the villages of refugees who had lost their homes and food stores.