Part III - Beloved of the Seventh Prince: 43. Peacock Lake

Despite everything that had come before, there was a busy but peaceful buzz as the capital's citizens settled into welcoming the new year.

Court was shut down for fifteen days to celebrate the holiday and then in the beginning of the second month, it would be the Emperor's birthday.

The Emperor had demanded to see the dance at his birthday banquet, but since Cui Xi was entering the palace, she felt that she could not perform something as provocative as the Crescent Moon dance, so instead she concocted something else. Snatching up a sheet of paper and a brush, she began to draw. When she was done, she quietly laughed to herself.

Xiao Yu smiled.

"What is it called?" she asked, admiring the sketches that her A'Xi had drawn.

"Peacock Lake! Su Rou, send these two sketches off to the tailor. Have the clothes made up immediately and then I will visit to make adjustments. Also call the dancing girls in, in half a shichen. I will need them."

With 'Peacock Lake', Cui Xi would ensure that everyone remembered the Emperor's birthday.

With that in mind, she prepared to enter the palace.

***

There was a sharp intake of breath as the dancers entered the beautifully decorated hall.

A tiny, barefoot girl, about ten years old, stepped into the hall leading eight brawny slaves who carried a giant silver plate that looked to be almost one zhang*  in diameter. Each performer wore silver anklets strung with bells on their feet and they jingled as they made their stately advance into the grand hall. They moved very gracefully but steadily as there was a figure crouched in the center, hidden behind the plumes of four very large peacock fans held by four blue clad maidens. Following close behind were the musicians. The platter was laid down very carefully in the center of the hall and the peacock feather fans followed the downward motion continuing to conceal the figure in the center of the plate who knelt patiently. The brawny slaves knelt and kowtowed from behind the platter and the fan bearing hand maidens also knelt.

The tiny girl knelt and kowtowed. Raising her head at the emperor's wave, she called out in a beautiful tinkling voice.

"This servant gives greeting to the Great Emperor. Ten thousand years of life! The Hundred Flower House gives its respects and presents the dance 'Peacock Lake' in celebration of the Great Emperor's birthday."

The room was already enchanted by this display, and the Emperor immediately waved at them to stand. The tiny little girl clapped her hands.

"Mistress! Please begin!" she shouted.

The fans were swept to the side and a beautiful woman stood poised in the centre of the plate which was being filled with perfumed water by the handmaidens who had returned with jewel encrusted silver vessels. The flower scent rose on the air, and the audience collectively and unconsciously breathed deeply, taking in the scent which was light and clear. It was like the hall was suddenly enveloped in the teeming blooms of a spring day.