Part IV - The Western Emerald: 67. Elders

"Please have more, no need to be polite," the abbot chuckled, gesturing to the fragrant cup in front of Yang Ming Xi.

The two old men smiled at each other, though their eyes remained business-like.

"In a few more months, representatives of all the noble households will slowly begin to trickle into the capital for the Crown Prince's engagement banquet. It has been set to coincide with the tribute banquet. I understand that her Highness, Eldest Princess Zhao Ling Yao, is also returning with her eldest son, while her husband, that old bear, remains in the northeast," said the abbot with a crispness that indicated his contempt.

Yang Ming Xi nodded, unsurprised, although he mentally chuckled at the emperor's pragmatism and frugality. Having the two events coincide would save the officials and royal relatives from having to come into the capital twice, but also spare the treasury the expense. Of course, nothing had been spared for the Emperor's birthday banquet earlier in the year, but tacking on the Crown Prince's engagement party to the bi-annual tribute banquet indicated the emperor's dubious attitude towards his chosen heir, and it was meant as a sly warning to the wolves who supported the Guangs.

I wish he would stop torturing everyone including himself for the things of the past. I know he has his difficulties, but I've no idea what Zhao Ling Shaung is thinking sometimes...

Coming back to attention, Yang Ming Xi realised that the abbot was speaking.

"You saw the emperor?" asked the abbot serenely. He had watched with quiet interest at the irritable flicker in the other man's expression and mentally filed it away.

"I did."

Ahhh...

If the abbot thought that Yang Ming Xi would elaborate, he was mistaken as the old doctor only gave him an enigmatic smile. Knowing better than to press for the information, the abbot simply moved on to other matters.

"The Eldest Prince will also return to the capital?"

"Duan Mo, you know it already," snorted Yang Ming Xi, becoming somewhat impatient.

The abbot's lips tipped up and he gestured to Tong Tong who had been sitting like a shadow in a corner up until that very moment. The boy rose immediately, retrieving the tea pot and refilling their cups, letting the warm fragrance filled their noses.

Yang Ming Xi eyed the boy curiously but said nothing. The abbot's people were very trustworthy, and he had no concerns that anything of the current conversation would enter the ears of outsiders.

"Yes, but my interest is not in his return, but your attitude to his decision which I didn't know until just now," the abbot chuckled. "You got better at hiding your thoughts, old friend, but I have known you a long time."

Yang Ming Xi grunted.

"It's true that there are only a few still left who remember what happened that year."