Ch. 17 - Home

SO FAR, THE ROAD TRIP WAS OKAY

It's Lucy, Damien, my uncle, and myself in a car. My uncle decided to drive so I sat in the passenger seat while the twins sat in back.

Lucy was reading a book while Damien had his earbuds in his ears. My uncle was playing a murder mystery podcast, and I was scrolling through social media, being bored.

As I liked somebody's picture, a text message popped up on my screen. It was from Damien, and I glanced back towards him, but he didn't look up.

I clicked on the message to reveal what he said.

Damien

just fyi, i hate road trips.

I rolled my eyes before texting back.

why? it's better than flying & last time I checked you are terrified of heights.  So it's a win win situation.

maybe but im bored.

okay so what do you want to do?

tell me the whole cade family tree. I want to be fully prepared to meet them.

Before I could start texting back, Lucy groaned in the backseat.

"I think I'm going to be sick," Lucy said as her face paled.

"Pulling over. Give me just a sec," my uncle said as Damien rubbed Lucy's back.

As soon as my uncle put the car in park, Lucy jumped out of the car before puking in the grass.

Damien followed straight behind her, and I stepped out of the car to check on her. Lucy took a deep breath to calm herself down after she puked her guts up.

"Are you okay, Luce?" Damien asked as he checked over her.

"I think it's just car sickness," she replied, wiping her mouth.

"You sure?" I asked, making her nod.

"Yeah. I was reading and with all of the curves and hills, it made me sick," she answered, wrapping her black cardigan tightly around her.

"Do you want to sit in the passenger seat and listen to music with your earbuds? It will make you less nauseous," Damien asked as she headed back to the car.

Lucy slowly nodded her head as she made her way back to the car. She grabbed her phone and her earbuds from her seat while I grabbed my stuff.