Ch. 19 - Run ins

"THIS GAME IS RIGGED!" Nick exclaimed, crossing his arms against his chest

It's the day before Thanksgiving, and Nick, Brent, Campbell, Nichole, Lucy, Damien, and I were in the living room playing Just Dance.

The rest of the group went out to town or went to take a nap. Amber was sitting in my lap as she rocked her baby doll back and forth.

Dad had to go to the hospital for an emergency surgery, and Mom was finishing up paperwork at her office in town.

She usually works from home nowadays, but I knew she needed the small break from Amber. That's why I offered to babysit her for a couple of hours.

"Just admit that you suck at dancing, Nicklaus," Nichole replied as she pulled her hair in a ponytail.

Right now, Nick, Lucy, Nichole, and Brent were playing.

And Nick is being a sore loser because he came in last for the fifth time in a row.

"Take that back!" Nick said, pointing the controller at his girlfriend.

I tore my eyes off of them, and I glanced at Damien. He was sitting on the other couch while Campbell and I sat next to each other.

I noticed that Campbell kept looking at him then at me.

"Damien, do you want to play?" Lucy asked her twin as she plopped down beside him.

"I'm good," he simply replied.

"How about you, Campbell?" Lucy asked her, making Campbell nod.

"Of course," she quickly replied, grabbing the controller from her.

Brent picked 7 Rings, and they started playing once more. Amber slid off my lap and off the couch. She walked towards the twins, who were whispering to each other, and she stopped right in front of Damien.

"Baby...sick," she said, handing the doll to Damien.

Damien looked at her like she grew two heads while Lucy said,"Oh goodness! We need a doctor!"

Amber gave her a death glare before pointing at Damien. Damien, nervously, glanced at me then at Amber.

"Fix..her," Amber urged, putting the baby doll on Damien's chest.  She climbed on the couch so she could sit next to him.

Damien picked up the baby doll from his chest, and he started pressing on the doll's chest. I couldn't tell if he was trying to give it CPR or check it's 'heart.'

"Yep. Definitely fu-I mean, flipping sick," Damien replied, making the little girl gasp, dramatically. "But, don't worry, she's going to be just fine. I'll give her a shot to make her feel better."

Amber nodded as she held her baby doll's hand. Damien pretended to fix the doll. He handed the doll back to Amber who hugged it tightly.

"Thank you," she quietly replied with a smile.