Chapter 4

I'm back :) Sorry I didn't
upload a chapter for a while
but I was struggling with my
mental health a bit.
I'm better now so enjoy
reading <3

And I can go anywhere I want
Anywhere I want, just not home
(Taylor Swift - My tears ricochet)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Coraline's POV

The next day I woke up at 8:30.
I noticed that Damiano was still sound asleep so I got dressed and quietly walked down the stairs to make myself some breakfast.
Damiano had been living alone for a couple of weeks due to his parents being flight attendants and his brother already having his own place.
As I poured the milk onto the cereal, I heard footsteps behind me.

"Good morning, Cora" Damiano said and yawned.
I gave him a smile and sat down at the kitchen table to eat breakfast.
The events of the night before kept running through my mind and I knew that staying at Damiano's place wasn't a permanent option.
I had a couple of nightmares during the night but managed to keep quiet so he wouldn't ask any more questions.
"Are you alright?" he asked out of the blue.
"Uh- yea...I just...I was just thinking" I replied with a stutter and began to eat my cereal.
Damiano looked at me with disbelief but didn't say anything.

"I have rehearsals with the band later, you can come with me if you want" he suggested.
"Thanks, but i'd rather stay here. I have to figure out some things..." I explained with a forced smile.
I knew that I had to get away from here as soon as possible.
Sure, I loved Damiano's company but I needed a fresh start.
Somewhere far away from Rome, perhaps even outside of Italy.

Later that day, Damiano left for rehearsal and I was alone.
I scrolled through my phone, looking for apartments in different cities until I found one that was at least kind of affordable for me.
It was in Paris.
Paris doesn't sound bad, I thought.
Ever since I was a little kid, I had always wanted to move to Paris when I was older but I never thought that it would happen so soon.
Beside school, I had been working a part-time job as a waitress at a restaurant, which meant I had a bit of money saved up.

Without hesitation, I messaged the landlord.
We texted back and forth and I was allowed to move in.
I packed all of my stuff in a bag and wrote Damiano a quick note.

Hey,
I'm sorry but you and I both know I can't stay here. Please don't go and search for me, I made my decision.
Goodbye

A small tear rolled down my cheek as I wrote the last word. I had to get out of there as soon as possible so I turned the lights off, took my suitcase and closed the door behind me.