Chapter 26

What do you think
will happen next?

The world's not perfect
But it's not that bad
If we got each other
And that's all we have
(Alec Benjamin - If we have got each other)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Damiano's POV

I woke up with a massive headache which must've been a result from all the crying the night before. Still exhausted, I got out of bed quietly and made my way down the stairs to the kitchen to get some advil. Victoria was still asleep so I tried to make as little noise as possible. When I opened the kitchen door, I was met with the first rays of sun shining through the windows.

It was around five in the morning and a couple of birds were already chirping. Having taken the advil, I sat down at the slightly dirty dining table and took in the silence of the early morning. I hadn't had a moment as relaxing as this one in a while, so it was a true relief to let go of all of the bad thoughts that filled my mind for once.

A couple of minutes later, I heard the stairs creek and the sound of soft footsteps filled the room. "Morning" Victoria yawned as she walked towards the refrigerator.
"Good morning" I replied and got up to make us both some coffee. I opened the cabinet to get two espresso cups and placed them each under the spout as I waited for the coffee to fill up the tiny red mugs.

"I thought perhaps we could book the flights and everything after breakfast" Vic suggested, rubbing her eyes of tiredness.
"Yeah, sure" I agreed and put the two cups of coffee on the table. Victoria gave me a grateful smile and we both sat down at the table, simply enjoying the moment.

After we'd finished breakfast, I got my laptop and we started looking for some available flights and a hotel room. "How long do we even want to stay" I asked.
"Let's just do four days. We can stay longer if needed but I think a couple days will do for a start" Victoria explained and I agreed.
We didn't need to be there for too long.
Just long enough to find Coraline.

It was about two hours later when we finished packing our suitcases and left to go to the airport. The traffic wasn't too bad yet but our flight was at 11:30am which meant we had hurry up. "You drive like a maniac, Damiano" Victoria argued.
"At least I don't do road rage, little miss" I argued back with a laugh.
Vic rolled her eyes as she leaned her head on the window. The fun teasing was something I'd always loved about our friendship. We'd poke fun at each other but both of us always made sure it never went as far as to hurt each other.

Once we'd arrived at the airport, we checked in our luggage and soon the boarding began.
"I'm nervous" I said quietly.
"Why? You've been on a dozen flights before" Victoria asked and I shrugged.
"I just don't know what will happen in Paris.
If we'll find her, if she even wants us to find her" I explained, looking at the floor.
"It's okay. We'll figure all of that out when we're there" she said and smiled.
I smiled back at her and soon enough, the plane was up in the air, on its way to France's capital city.