Chapter 18

I'm so sorry for
barely updating but
life's been so stressful

And I'd give up forever  to touch you
'Cause I know that you feel me somehow
You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be
And I don't want to go home right now
(Goo Goo Dolls - Iris)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Damiano's POV

It was around four in the morning when I woke up. My dreams that night all revolved around sweet Marlena. 
I couldn't fall back asleep so I decided to go for a walk. Victoria wasn't awake yet so I had to be extremely quiet since she's a light sleeper.

I changed into a dark red hoodie and a pair of black jeans and put on some sneakers before I made my way down the stairs of my house.
The staircase was quite old which meant you could hear every single step one took.

As I closed the front door behind me, I let out a shaky breath.
My best friend hadn't left my mind at all and each day it got harder to live, not knowing if she was even alive.

The streets of Rome were still empty since it was so early in the morning but I didn't mind 
it at all. I actually wasn't very fond of meeting anyone I know this early anyway so I appreciated the rare silence of my hometown.
The birds were chirping and the air still smelled like the rain from the night before.

"She'll be okay, Damiano. You'll be okay. She's out there somewhere, alive" I whispered as my vision soon became blurry from the tears that had started to form in my eyes.
Right as I wiped away the first drop of the salty liquid that had rolled down my cheek, my phone began to ring. It was Victoria.

I wasn't sure whether to answer the call or not.
Victoria was a great friend, no doubt, but I just needed some time to myself.
After a few moments of contemplating, I clicked on the green button and answered my band mate.
"Hello?" I said while trying to sound like I hadn't just cried.
"Damiano, where are you?" Victoria replied with worry in her voice.
"I couldn't sleep so I wanted to take a walk. Don't worry, I'm fine" I then responded.

It wasn't a complete lie.
I did take a walk because I couldn't sleep but I definitely wasn't fine at all and Victoria seemed to know that.
"Don't lie to me. I've known you for years, I know when something's up. Please come home so we can talk about this, okay?" she said and sighed.
"Okay" was the only thing I responded as I hung up the phone.