𝟎𝟖|cooped up

∴ ∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵ ∴

∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵

∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵

Just as expected, Pope and Kiara were already at the Chateau waiting for their friends when they pulled up in the Twinkie. They all went and took a seat on the veranda to discuss what had happened with Ms Lana, JJ telling the story from his point of view.

"And we were right outside like this," he said as he went over and stood against the wall, imitating what they'd done as he continued his story.
"And all we hear is just, 'Bam! Bam! Bam!' Knocking paint off the wall, G! From the inside. All right? and I'm just looking at these two, like- wait, first off, look at this shit."

JJ walked over to the table that sat between Kie and Pope. He leaned over and began to clear the paint flakes from his hair onto the table's surface, almost like a scene out of 'The Breakfast Club'.

"That's dandruff, disgusting," Kie said, face screwed distastefully.

When JJ continued, Pope reached forward and shoved his head away, "Okay, thank you."

"Look at all that. All right? That's paint," JJ stated as he stood up straight, pointing down at the table. "At that point, I was just, like. . . I'm waiting for death."

Pope's head fell into his hands as he tried to process everything, "Oh, okay, so you saw the guys that shot at us, right?"

"Yeah."

"Did you get a good description of them?" Pope asked as he looked back up. "What did they look like? Anything we can bring to a police report? Maybe."

JJ thought for a moment, shrugging, before concluding with, "Burly."

There was a moment of silence as Pope stared at their friend in disbelief. "Burly?" he repeated.

"Yeah," JJ nodded. "You know, like-"

"That's not very helpful," Kiara interrupted.

"Okay, well, no, like the type of guy at my dad's garage. I mean, you guys know he made cargo hides for drug smugglers. So I can tell you with full confidence, these boys, these killers. . . they're square groupers."

JJ removed a Juul from his pocket and took a drag from it, before letting the smoke pass his lips. The experience at Ms Lana's had clearly left him rattled, the boy leaned back against the wall as he took another drag.

"They're square groupers, like narco square grouper?" Pope clarified. "Like Pablo Escobar square grouper?"

"Yeah, man," JJ responded as he removed the Juul from his lips.

"You guys, not everything is a kingpin movie," Kie pointed out.

Pope continued anyway, "What does this square grouper look like? Specifically?"