𝟑𝟗|enigma

∴ ∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵ ∴

∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵

∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵

The Pogues had driven directly to the docks, paying the fee and getting Mr Heyward's truck on the ferry. It was going to be a long trip but if all went well, Pope would make it to his appointment right on time.

They all sat in the tray of the truck, Kiara with an angry look on her face, still discussing what had happened back on the island. "My parents are so paranoid of me being a Pogue like it's the worst thing that could ever happen. I mean, Callie, your parents chose that over being Kooks and look how happy they are."

"It's not always sunshine and rainbows but, yeah, they're happy," Callie agreed, the thought of her parents making her feel guilty again.

JJ was sitting on top of the cab, rolling a blunt unsurprisingly. "Hey, I hear they got good weed at boarding school, though."

"I'm not going to boarding school," Kiara stated firmly, making it clear that there was no changing her mind or convincing her. "They're gonna have to kidnap me, tie me up, and throw me in a van."

The blonde put the blunt between his lips, getting his lighter out and sparking it. "Well, I say. . . we just crumble some herb right now."

Once it was lit, he passed it down to Kiara. As the girl took a drag, Callie looked over at her. "So, what did Florence end up saying when you told her about the letter?"

Passing the blunt to Callie, Kiara breathed out slowly. "She said she couldn't come - her parents would've sent her back to boarding school if she left the island. So she said she'd keep an eye out on Ward and Rafe again for us."

Kiara looked disappointed that the Thornton girl couldn't make it. Callie noticed her body language and made a not to consider asking her about it when they were alone. Maybe there was a different reason besides the no Pogue-on-Pogue macking rule that resulted in Kiara turning Pope down.

Changing the subject, Pope leant against the side of the truck. "Hey, Kie, have you tried to hit John B back on that number yet?"

"Like, twenty million times."

"That's quite a few times," JJ laughed as he accepted the blunt from Callie.

Kiara nodded, "Some random lady at a hotel keeps answering."

"So, he stole someone's phone, then," Callie concluded. "I don't think there's any point in calling that number anymore.

"Well, until we do hear from them again, we gotta try and clear his name," Pope reminded them all. "Right now, this letter's our best bet."

"Right. Stay on task," the blond agreed, handing the blunt over to Kiara. "That's why I love ya, Pope."

The girl stood up with the blunt in hand, holding it out to their friend. "What Pope are you gonna be today?"