𝟐𝟑|the peanut gallery

∴ ∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵ ∴

∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵

∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵ ∴ ∵

"Okay, so here's the plan," John B whispered once everyone was together. "We need to look for the wheat near the water like it said in Denmark's letter."

"Okay, like, what kind of water? Like, pond water?" Pope specified. 

JJ looked at him, confused as he said "Bong water?" with a laugh.

His four friends all looked at him with confusion, trying to figure out whether he was being serious or not.
"We're at the house of a psycho. You wanna try taking this seriously?" Callie hissed.

"Thanks, Cal," John B nodded to his friend.

The girl shrugged, "Don't thank me too soon. This isn't much of a plan, John B."

"Look, it just said look for water, okay?"

"That's the shittiest secret message ever,"
she said as she began to walk towards the house with a tired expression.

"You wanna complain a little more, Kie?" the boy asked, following after her to help search in that area of the yard. "Nobody said it was gonna be easy."

Pope, Callie and JJ all straightened up, Pope scanning the area. "Cal, you check through the middle. I'll check the northeast quadrant, JJ search the northwest."

"The decapitation quadrant," JJ clarified.

"Watch your back, pretty boy," Callie warned jokingly. "Mrs Crain will probably come for you first."

The boy's mouth fell open as he looked at her, "Don't say that, you'll jinx me."

"You'd better run fast," she shrugged as she went to search the section of the yard that Pope had allocated her.

"Not funny, Cal," he said just loud enough that the girl could hear him.

Callie searched the area but couldn't find water anywhere. There wasn't even a puddle.
They all kept looking, eventually closing in on the house. She glanced to her friends but they all shook their heads, signalling that they too had found nothing.

"Hey," John B called to them all in a low voice. The teen was crouched at what appeared to be a basement door. "Hey, come on. It's the only place we haven't looked."

"Yes, because it's always a good idea to go into the basement of the creepy old house," Callie said sarcastically as she walked over. "You guys haven't watched enough horror movies, clearly, because this is the part where the group all start getting killed off one by one."

"Thanks for that, Cal. Just what I needed," Pope told her, shooting him a frown.

John B glanced back over his shoulder, "Well if you see an axe, run."