Chapter 11

Wen Reian

2004 years after The Long Night

Sanlín City

<Church of The Willow Song>

The fiancé, who they'd learned was called Qian Ling, followed them silently back to the church. Reian felt as if every step they took, they all picked up their pace just a little bit more. Pretty soon, walking became anxious sprinting.

It was far past time that the city was asleep, yet the lights were still flickering through the stained glass windows of one particular building at the town's edge...

"They have her spirit contained, but be careful." Reian warned.

Xie Yi-jun went to open the door but before Reian was able to sense anything wrong on the other side, the thing swung wide open, gaping like a mouth-

"Ahh!"

Wind like a hurricane hit them all at once, Wen Reian and Qian Ling immediately losing balance and being swept inside while Yi-jun somehow managed to grab onto the door.

With his wits scattered by the noise and commotion, it took Wen Rei several seconds to realise that Xie Yi-jun had grabbed him and was holding his waist with one arm.

One hand on the doorknob, one hand on me... this can't last long-

Hair being tossed every which way, it was nearly impossible to tell upside from down, but the boy thought he could make out a few figures in the room, their energies swirling around them as they tried to battle back the storm.

"Master!" Reian's voice was partially swallowed up by the roar of wind, but he soon heard an echo return to him...

"Reian! Is Yi-jun with you?!"

At that, the King shifted slightly, clearly using all of his strength to keep himself and Reian from falling into the room.

"...just about-" he huffed.

Reian turned his attention to the center of the room again. He could somewhat sense that at the very heart of the storm was a strong ghost. A lingering of a soul, like a copy. Where human beings were filled up with energy and heartbeats, this after-image was sustained by pure fear and rage, and it would only be set free when one or both was satisfied.

Calling out to Qian Ling who was practically plastered to the floor now as he tried to keep from being sucked in, Reian tried to reach his hand out. Xie Yi-jun pulled him back.

Turning and meeting the man's eyes, the boy frowned.

"Let me go, I have an idea!"

"Like hell-"

Reian buried his resentment at the curse once more and tried to wriggle free of Xie Yi-jun's grasp but the King held firm.

"Stop moving! I can barely hold on as it is..."

"I know!" He shouted over the wind, "Let go, I'm going to fall and catch Qian Ling. I'm going to take him to see her!"

Yi-jun scoffed, "I don't know if you're aware but that is no longer his fianceé. We had a chance at setting her spirit free a few hours ago but I'm guessing your friends just agitated her! Stop it, Reian!"

Grabbing hold of the fingers gripping his waist, Reian whispered a soft apology, and then sent a surge of pure soul-energy into Yi-jun's hand. It was too much and would definitely feel like being singed by flames. Reian watched in awe as the man gritted his teeth and held on even tighter...