Chapter 46

Xie Yi-jun

1304 Years after The Long Night

Hêi'àn City

<Training Field>

"Children, please! Need I remind you that this isn't camp, this is war? Now, who here can show me the difference between an Arching Dragon and a Moon Stance?!"

The King watched Jiang Guiying's words fall mostly on deaf ears, as the already worn and weary soldiers on the training field exchanged glances at one another.

Seeing their confused and nervous faces, Xie Yi-jun was once again struck by both a feeling of disappointment, and regret that he even needed these good men to memorize such movements for the purpose of killing their former neighbors, children, and friends.

The fact that Yi-jun was the one in charge of it all, be it their future deaths or the deaths of their enemies, was more than he could bear in a lot of moments. Now however, his unease seemed to be manifesting in a rapid loss of patience...

"Very well," the King glowered, uncrossing his arms. "Pay attention!"

Turning to face his former mentor, the man still very much in his prime and nearly Yi-jun's match when it came to footwork, the King was about to illustrate their point, when a familiar tension suddenly spread throughout his chest.

Warmth... the clouds parting-

Attention being caught by the murmur and rustle of the soldiers, Xie Yi-jun was stunned when he saw the figure dressed in all white, slowly making his way to the front of the crowd.

Jin Songcai was a regular on the training field, where injuries were as common as seeing a crow fly overhead. However, what was unusual in the extreme was the sword the man held at his hip. Yi-jun recognised it as Zhēnjiǔ Zhēn... Jin-cai's Acupuncture Needle.

His lover stared at him, seemingly unbothered by the looks he was receiving from everyone, the King included.

He told me he doesn't train with others. He said he never fights unless absolutely necessary, even refusing to fight me citing potential injuries!

Yi-jun knew he couldn't spend more time gawking over the man's appearance. As much as he wished he could run to Jin-cai, ask him why he was here all of a sudden, he couldn't interrupt their training for his own personal curiosity. The look in Songcai's eyes however as he stared, chin slightly up at Yi-jun, made the King feel fifteen again...

The excitement of suddenly having his lover nearby brightening his mood considerably, Xie Yi-jun felt energy coursing through his veins, all the way down his arm and into the hand that held Hong Zui.

I'm demonstrating, for the masses. Absolutely none of this in any way whatsoever will be showing off-

Jiang Guiying's eyes narrowed when Yi-jun turned to face him, the man noticing how the King rocked back and forth on the balls of his feet.

"Go easy on me lad," he grumbled.

Yi-jun only shrugged. "You know me-"

"Pssht! I've known you since you were crawling around in diapers, and you'll never cease to be the same thing!"

Yi-jun grinned, "A whiny brat?"

His old mentor laughed loudly, gaze sharpening and his stance changing infinitesimally, but the King noticed.