Chapter 39

A/N: content warning for a PG-13-ish kissing scene LOL

Wen Reian

2004 years after The Long Night

Jingshén

<Greenhouse>

Humming softly to himself as he pulled the weeds from each box, Wen Reian smiled as he realised he was the most content he'd been all week. Master Hao had sensed his stress the last few days, suggesting that the boy busy himself with something outside, some task that needed doing.

At first, Reian was dubious. How could he possibly forget the mortification, the regret he felt whenever he passed by Xie Yi-jun's door? Or when he caught the King's nervous glances in the halls? Now that he was here however, dirt streaked on both his hands and forehead, Wen Rei was starting to believe his mentor was right.

Unfortunately, Reian not only had to bury seeds, but also his sadness and heartbreak, when he thought of how Xie Yi-jun would likely never speak to him again.

Perhaps it's better this way-

Sighing, he stood, finding that the breeze he'd felt was in fact not due to the window he'd cracked, but the greenhouse door being held open.

Reian just about dropped his spade, heat already rising on his face when Yi-jun stepped inside, not looking directly at him.

Awkward! It's awkward now! Why did I say anything?!

Trying his best to appear unbothered, the boy blinked a few times as the King approached him. When they finally met eyes, much to his own surprise, it was Reian who spoke first!

"Is everything okay?"

He'd meant it casually, as it had been several days since they'd talked. Yi-jun however looked as if he was battling with himself, searching for the right words to say.

Kicking himself internally, poor Reian was forced to stand there again, feeling like a fool, a feeling that only grew when Xie Yi-jun finally said what he wanted...

"I've been thinking about this for a while, and there's only one fair conclusion I keep coming to," the King seemed to inhale as if to gather strength.

"Do-over."

Wen Reian smiled as politely as he could in that instance; "What do you mean?"

When Yi-jun's hand came up nervously to the back of his neck as he bit his lip, Reian felt his heart skip a beat...

"I mean, if you want to... I'm offering a second-chance-first-kiss."

Reian stood statue still, watching the way Xie Yi-jun's eyes kept anxiously flickering away as the man stepped closer.

Feeling guilty and embarrassed, Reian muttered softly; "Yi-jun you don't need to do this."

His heart, however, was saying something very different...

Yi-jun swallowed, finally looking up into Reian's eyes. When they met, it was clear that the King didn't necessarily want to do this at all, more like he felt he owed it to Reian. That made the boy feel even worse-

"You didn't know who I was, and you were asleep." Reian reminded him, "We can just forget it."

Please, please just forget it-