Chapter 40

Xie Yi-jun

1303 years after The Long Night

Hêi'àn City

<Palace Dining Room>

"I don't know about you all but I'm done for the night," Zhu Liuxuan slurred, shaking his head. Xie Yi-jun stifled a laugh as he watched the commander try to stand, stumble, and then salute him before he rather slowly shuffled out of the room.

It is getting late...

The King was still too awake to go to bed yet, adrenaline coursing though him at their victory that night. Beside him however, it was clear Jin Songcai was starting to fade. The young healer rested his head against Yi-jun's shoulder, eyes closed, pouting-

The rest of the table had either fallen asleep in their seats or gone to bed a long time ago. Now only Yi-jun, Songcai, and Zhao Xingyi were awake. Though, A'Xing was staring cross-eyed at his glass, probably wondering why tonight of all nights he was invited to join the seniors and take part in their rather ostentatious drinking habits.

"Hmmph-"

The sigh came from Jin Songcai, who was pressing his face into Yi-jun's arm, his tousled hair and bright pink blush making the King smile fondly. Unable to help himself and seeing as no one was watching, Yi-jun took Songcai's face in his hands, bringing those hazy blue eyes up and watching Jin-cai stick his lips out even more.

He's making it difficult not to want to kiss him-

Just before he did so Songcai frowned, closing his eyes and pulling away, looking ever-so distraught. Yi-jun let him go curiously, the man then moving to lay down on the table-

"No, Jin-cai..." Yi-jun laughed softly, catching his head and trying to bring it back to his shoulder, which the young healer resisted.

"Xie Yi-jun stop it!" Songcai hissed, frowning.

Yi-jun let him go, amused, watching the man fumble around trying to roll up his sleeves for a few moments before finally leaning back in his chair and sighing loudly.

Jin Songcai was always so put together. Seeing him like this, Yi-jun could almost imagine what his lover must have looked like as a child, or petulant teenager.

Hmm... his Jin-cai surely never had a reckless youth like he had. He probably never even threw a fit-

The King couldn't contain his smile now, as Songcai crossed his arms indignantly and looked as far away from him as he could. It was too adorable...

Grinning, Yi-jun leaned in and whispered in his ear; "Shall I take you to bed?"

Songcai seemed to think about this deeply, then he lowered his lashes and smiled. A fraction of a second later, his expression switched back to brooding.

You'd think I told him he was in time-out!

Xie Yi-jun nuzzled his nose against Jin-cai's cheek, feeling the heat of his blush which only made his heart flutter more.

After all the pressure of the last few weeks, the physical and mental stress he'd been under, and the thrill and blessing of succeeding in their battle, the King wanted nothing more than to pull Jin Songcai up that spiral staircase and find himself once more inside his lover's heavenly body.

Jin-cai however, seemed less-enthusiastic...

"Angel," Yi-jun said. "What's wrong?"

Songcai fiddled with his thumbs nervously, an action that shocked Yi-jun. He'd never seen him do anything remotely like that. He must be really drunk-