Chapter 44

Wen Reian

An Unknown Number of Years After The Long Night

The Spirit Orchard

<Wen Reian's Dream>

"You really think I can do this? You think I'm good enough?"

Jin Songcai smiled at Reian from where the man was standing by the big tree, his arms crossed as he watched his new disciple gently reach out and touch the fawn.

The little spotted creature had somehow been conjured to life inside the dream by either Songcai, Reian, or them both, and it was clear what Songcai wanted him to do from the way the deer limped and chewed as his hind leg.

Reian just didn't know if he could...

Jin Songcai answered with a sigh; "It's not about 'good enough' you just believe you can, then you will. Besides, you've healed beings much larger than her before. Stop doubting yourself and concentrate."

Wen Rei nodded and closed his eyes, trying with a deep breath to exhale and release all of his anxiety. He knew it was only a dream. And yet, being so conscious inside it had begun to feel like he was simply entering another world when he slept. He wasn't just dreaming, Reian knew he was somewhere else.

Everytime he woke from these dreams with Songcai, Reian could feel in his heart and his body that his powers had truly grown. Like he practiced here, and it payed off out there-

"You don't need to touch the one you're healing," Songcai said.

Reian could hear that the man was walking behind him now, watching and taking in everything he did. Reian was also aware that the fawn nestled upon the leaves in front of him on the forest floor, was hurting deeply. A very acute pain that the boy knew was a broken bone.

Connecting to the soul of an animal was in some ways easier than a human being, Reian thought. Animals didn't build walls or fortresses around their hearts, there was no need to untangle any mess of lies or fears or questions. It was all very simple inside the little creature's soul... it hurts, it hurts, it hurts-

Because of that, Wen Reian latched onto this pain quickly, not using his hands as Songcai had instructed and only reaching out with his own energy.

"If you're afraid the healing process will be too much physically for them to bear, you can put them to sleep..." Songcai added. "Like singing the heart a soft song."

Reian did so then, easing the fawn to sleep and then beginning on her wound. Broken bones and things like that have sharp edges. Reian knew that if he began too eagerly or too fast, the corners of the pain would slice into his own soul and make it hard to continue.

"Remember," Songcai said, now standing behind Reian and watching him work over the boy's shoulder-

"Healing should always remain mutual. You are receiving and giving energy. Your patient's soul strengthens yours, which helps you strengthen them. Even when one is in the deepest slumber, their soul still shines and conducts light."

Songcai's soft voice was Reian's guide, as well as his own feelings. The boy gradually fixed the broken bone, one atom at a time, feeling the heart-warming rush of the creature's own energy as he sent out his own.

What... what is that-

Reian had almost fully healed the injury and was easing much of his aura away, when he suddenly sensed a lingering hurt from the fawn that had been drowned out before by the other, much sharper pain.