Chapter 20

Xie Yi-jun

1302 years after The Long Night

Hêi'àn City

<Chongbai Zhen>

The man smiled and everyone smiled back. He laughed, and like that, they were all wrapped around his finger. After spending his life trying and struggling to become someone who was personable and well-liked enough, the King was both jealous and highly impressed by Jin Songcai's ability to get along with anyone...

Xie Yi-jun knew it might be difficult for some of his people, soldiers mainly, to accept another from a foreign place so quickly joining them like this. His people were not naturally suspicious, but with Meng Bai and that whole mess, it was hard to trust these days.

Unsurprisingly, everybody gravitated toward Songcai anyway. Yi-jun had introduced him only as a highly skilled healer that had come to aid them. Songcai and him hadn't discussed the few heated encounters they'd had over the last few weeks, or what it all had meant, but Yi-jun figured it was best to keep all of that private for now.

Having gone out with Songcai in the early afternoon to show him around and introduce him to some folks he'd be working with, the King was quickly shut out of the picture when villagers and soldiers alike came out to the streets, a few even seeking Songcai from within their own houses, noticing him and coming out to say hello.

Jin Songcai was soon surrounded by a small huddle of people, all of them, no matter their age or status, staring at him with wide, sparkling eyes...

Yi-jun scoffed, then wondered if that was what he looked like when he was staring at the man-

"He's like a Prince, isn't he?!"

"Pardon me sir, but you couldn't possibly be the healer they've sent us from Wúmeng?"

Jin Songcai nodded and smiled, "Yes. Pleased to meet you all,"

A soft murmur fluttered through the crowd-

"He's so handsome!"

"What a lovely voice..."

"I've never seen someone so charming!"

Songcai spent a while chatting with the townspeople, as well as several soldiers and guards who were also struck by his presence. Xie Yi-jun was waiting a little ways away, arms crossed, warring with himself over whether he should feel jealous or justified.

Hah, so it's not just me who finds him irresistible... and I thought perhaps just his own people adored him. Looks like that's not the case-

"Dear sir!" An old woman called to Songcai, who looked up attentively.

"If you have any time at all while you're in town, do you think you could take a look at my hands for me? They've never been the same after so many years at the mill..."

Yi-jun stood still, watching in fascination as Songcai gently extended his hands, taking the woman's and nodding with a sweet smile.

"It would be my honor," he said.

His genuine caring for others was so apparent, the King felt his heart ache just from witnessing such a thing once more.

Never in his life had he seen someone who loved others so much, so deeply. Like it was all he existed to do; be there for them. Be their crutch, their lighthouse...