Chapter 49

Minato and Kushina were sitting across from Naruto and Hiruzen. They had spent all day discussing what was going to happen tomorrow. They all knew that an attack would happen right after Kushina's baby was born, but they still needed to be prepared for anything.

Naruto was listening quietly for once as Hiruzen spoke to Kushina. He was going to be out in the village waiting for the attack, while his wife Biwako would be with her helping to give birth to the child and Minato would be making sure the nine-tailed fox within Kushina didn't break free from his seal. Naruto would be patrolling just outside making sure no one got near.

As the meeting got closer to ending, Naruto finally excused himself, leaving his parents and Hiruzen behind. The autumn air left a chill in the air and he walked slowly through the village streets. The village was smaller from when he was growing up, but there was still happiness all around, and seeing the Uchiha clan members smiling and going about their day to day activities still made him smile, even after so many years of being in this time.

Neither Naruto nor Kurama spoke as they trekked through the village, walking through every street, reliving memories in every nook and cranny and even imagining the buildings that get built throughout the years. It wasn't until he found himself on the training grounds standing in front of three wood posts sticking out of the ground that he finally spoke up. "I guess this is where everything started, huh."

Everything was silent except for the breeze that was softly ruffling the trees. Naruto had sat down, leaning against the middle post thinking back to his past. It wasn't happy but not sad either, rather it was a peaceful feeling. He didn't feel the unbearable pain anymore while thinking about those he lost, because they were all being welcomed back as babies again.

"Kit..." Kurama let Naruto spend the time in silence until hours had passed after the sun went down. "You need to get some rest, Kit. Tomorrow is going to be a long day."

Naruto was silent as he pondered over what Kurama said before he finally stood up. "Yeah, I guess you're right." Walking back through the village at a quicker pace then before he found himself at his apartment and stepping inside to the dark quiet room. "I always hated coming home to an empty room."

"That'll change after tomorrow night. You won't have to any more." Kurama tried to lighten the mood a little by saying something positive, but knowing he was only repeating what he had said many times before to also try and make himself feel better.

"I know, Kura...but...I also know that I personally won't be able to experience that." Nothing else was said between the two friends as they both drifted off to sleep with a feeling of suspense and tension hanging in the air.

The next day came far too quickly for Kushina, Minato and Naruto. They were all nervous in their own ways, none of them knowing quite what to expect from the events that would happen that night.

It seemed like any other day as they all started to make their way to the safe house that had been decided. Everyone was going about their day as usual. As they were walking down the street, they just happened to run into Mikoto. Kushina stopped, smiling as she saw that Mikoto was holding a small bundled up Sasuke in her arms.

"He's so cute! He's getting so big, ya know!" Kushina's smile was bright as she poked Sasuke's small cheek.

"He really is. I can't believe it's been almost three months already."

"Hey, by the way..." Kushina leaned in, whispering to Mikoto. "Does it really hurt that bad?"

Mikoto gave a sympathetic smile to Kushina, knowing the nervousness herself. "Don't worry Kushina, you've got this no problem."