Chapter 24

The journey back to the Hidden Leaf Village seemed never ending as Minato kept an eye on Naruto. He hadn't woken up since the battle and it was making Minato anxious. He knew that the medics had done what they could to stabilize him, but he was still in critical condition, and needed help beyond what they could offer. We need Lady Tsunade to help him. It could be his only chance. Minato was thinking this as they were finally walking into view of the Village.

When they arrived at the front gates of the village they were greeted with the joyous cheers of all the villagers. The returning shinobi waved politely at the congratulations they were getting on winning the battle. Team Minato were the only ones not participating in the celebration. They went with the medics to take Naruto directly to the hospital.

"What on earth happened to him?!" Tsunade yelled at Minato as she did her initial inspection of Naruto.

Minato was trying to find an easy way to explain all that had transpired during the battle. "Well he saved my life by jumping in front of a scythe... and after they sealed up his chakra, they captured him and used this horrific chain that absorbed his chakra..." Minato had to take a deep breath to ground himself. "The leader of the Stone's forces, Zankoku, tortured Naruto and made him watch as he killed Leaf shinobi right in front of him."

Tsunade was outraged at what she heard from Minato. "That is despicable! To do that to a child!"

Minato flinched at Tsunade's tone. If only she had been there... "Yeah, well, you should have seen him continue to fight after he broke free of the chain." He had pride in his voice for Naruto.

There was silence after the revelation given by Minato. Tsunade was standing in awe while looking at the boy.

"Lady Tsunade? Will Naruto be okay?" Part of him didn't want to hear the answer, but he knew he needed to.

Tsunade sighed. "Eventually, yes." She turned towards Minato with a grave look. "He essentially lost all of his chakra, and these wounds would be fatal to anyone, especially after breaking from a chain that was stealing his chakra. That alone should be impossible. By all accounts he should be dead. How he survived is beyond me."

"He is a very strong young man." Minato looked at the unconscious Naruto. "If he hadn't been there, I'm sure we would have lost."

Tsunade nodded a silent agreement before speaking up. "Now Minato. He needs his rest. I suggest you go home and see your wife. I know she is worried."

Minato looked to Tsunade as she told him to go home. He did miss Kushina, and wanted to see her. "Yeah, give me just a little more time."

Tsunade nodded to Minato before turning around and headed towards the door. "Alright. I'll leave you alone for now. But please don't be too long." Without saying anything else she walked out of the room and shut the door.

As soon as Tsunade was gone Minato sunk into the chair that was by Naruto's bed. He felt completely drained of all his energy. "I'm so sorry Naruto..." Minato sat with his head in his hands as he spoke to Naruto. "I feel so stupid for not seeing it earlier. You were so like Kushina and I. I should have figured it out sooner." Minato looked at Naruto wondering why he would purposefully be changing past events, and what would happen now that changes have been set in motion.

Minato only sat with Naruto for a little while longer before standing up to leave. When he had reached the door to the room he turned back to look at the sleeping boy. I'll be back, Naruto. I promise.

Minato walked home quietly from the hospital. He had a lot on his mind and wasn't really in the mood to talk to anyone. He had barely managed to open the door to his house when he was tackled to the ground.