Chapter 18

Naruto and Jiraiya had been walking all day. Naruto was telling Jiraiya all he dared to about the future. It was only when the sun had set that they decided it was best to stop for the night.

"So wait? You're saying that you mastered sage mode?" Jiraiya was impressed.

"You know it! I was also able to create a change in chakra nature to the Rasengan. And then throw it."

"No way! Can't wait until I can see that in action!"

The conversation continued in a lighthearted manner as the two of them ate their dinner. Once they were finished Jiraiya decided to speak up before Naruto could. "I'll keep watch for the night, Naruto. I want you to get some sleep." He could see how tired Naruto was.

"That's okay. I can--" Naruto was cut off suddenly when Jiraiya sent a death glare to him.

"No, Naruto. You are going to go to sleep. If I have to knock you out I will."

Naruto stared at Jiraiya not knowing what to say. Now what do I do? I know he'll follow through on that threat.

"Naruto." Jiraiya's voice was soft as he spoke. "You may be some big shot where you're from, but you are still a child. You need to rest otherwise you will be of no help to anyone."

Naruto knew what he was saying was true, and in truth he wanted to sleep, but he didn't want to admit that he was scared.

"Why won't you sleep?" Jiraiya decided to find out why he wouldn't sleep instead of forcing him to.

"I..." Again, Naruto didn't know what to say.

"It's okay, Naruto." Jiraiya understood what Naruto's silence meant.

"What do you mean?" Naruto looked at Jiraiya in confusion. Not realizing what he meant.

"Going through what you have, anyone would be afraid to fall asleep. That's what happens with war."

Naruto let a couple of tears fall as he thought of what Pervy Sage said. Subtly wiping his eyes he spoke up, "I don't want to relive those memories anymore." This was the most vulnerable he had let himself be since he talked to his dad about Sakura, but he knew this time went deeper.

"No one would, not even me. But you need to sleep, Naruto." Jiraiya stood up to give Naruto some space to think about what he said.

Man I hate when Pervy Sage is right...

"You can sleep in the mindscape, Naruto." Kurama entered his thoughts at that moment.

"Yeah... yeah, I'll do that." With that said Naruto laid down in his makeshift bed and closed his eyes, and entered his mindscape.

"Long time no see, Kit." Kurama smiled as he looked at Naruto.

"Hey, Kura. It has been a while since I've been here." Naruto ignored the new nickname and walked over to Kurama and sat down next to him while Kurama wrapped his tails around him.

"Good night, Kit."

"Good night, Kura."

Jiraiya was happy to see that Naruto was asleep when he got back. I knew he was tired. He sat down next to the fire and pulled out a small scroll from his jacket. He decided he would write a letter to Minato and tell them that they would arrive tomorrow, he then summoned a small toad and sent him on his way.

Naruto woke up in his mindscape the next morning. "Man, did I sleep through the whole night?" He said this to himself as he stood up and stretched.