Chapter 20

"I don't care what you do. I'm going after Rin." Obito was yelling at Kakashi. They had been walking towards the Land of Earth when they were ambushed by two earth shinobi and they took Rin Hostage.

"We have to finish the mission, Obito. The mission comes first, that's the rule!" Kakashi was trying to get Obito to forget about Rin. He couldn't believe Obito would be that reckless. "Rin is a medical ninja, so they won't kill her right away. They'll have her heal their injured, so we have some time."

"I don't care! I am not leaving her behind!" Obito was walking off in the direction Rin was before he turned back to Kakashi. "Those who break the rules are scum, that's true. But those who would abandon even one of their friends, are even worse than scum. Naruto told us that remember? And I'm scum anyways, so I'm going and saving Rin." He didn't say anything else before he disappeared among the trees.

Kakashi stood and stared at the empty spot where Obito had been. His mind went back to the missions he had been on the last couple of months. He thought about Naruto and the story of how his friend gave her life to save him. He thought about how Minato saved Naruto from dying when they first met him, even though it wasn't something they were told to do. How Naruto saved him earlier that same day. He touched his head as he thought of the way Naruto would ruffle his hair and call him little brother. He thought of Rin, and how she was always going out of her way for him and Obito. Lastly his mind went to his father, he was willing to sacrifice his mission in order to save his comrades. "Those who would abandon even one of their friends, is worse than scum." He spoke quietly to himself. "Dammit... alright, I'm coming."

Having made up his mind that he would help to rescue his teammates, and ignoring the pain in his arm for the cut, he dashed off in the direction he saw Obito go. Don't go do anything stupid Obito. He couldn't help but think this to himself as he ran.

Kakashi was almost to Obito when he saw one of the Hidden Stone shinobi release his camouflage jutsu right behind Obito. Kakashi ran towards Obito as fast as he could. He pulled out his light blade as he ran, diving straight for the attacker, slashing him just before he could stab Obito with a kunai and making him fall back to a tree branch across from them.

"Kakashi?! What are you doing here?" Obito was awestruck that Kakashi had just saved him.

"Well I certainly can't leave this up to a crybaby ninja like you can I." Kakashi didn't want to admit that he was a little worried about Obito. So he went for his usual response.

"Kakashi..." Obito was speechless.

Kakashi turned towards the enemy holding his blade at the ready. "This blade is a memento from my father." He remembered what his father had sacrificed as he glanced at a stunned Obito. "I will not let you hurt my comrades."

"So you are the White Fang's little brat. This'll be easy." The enemy said this just before disappearing.

"His scent is gone too. We will have to rely on any trace of sound to fight him." Kakashi was analyzing the situation as he fought. It was while he was looking around that he heard the wood crack. "Obito, behind you!" He jumped behind Obito to try and attack the ninja, but before he could find the exact position of the enemy, he was sliced through his eye. "Argh! My eye!"

"Kakashi!" Obito looked at Kakashi as he was grabbing his left eye. "Are you alright?" He then helped him up on the branch they were on, there was blood dripping between his fingers. Obito felt tears start to drip from his eyes as he looked at his friend.

"Got some of that dust in your eyes again? A shinobi shouldn't cry. I'm not dead yet, stay focused."

Obito wiped at his eyes while listening to Kakashi. He's right. I've done nothing but talk big up till now. I have to be strong. He held a kunai in his hand, when all of a sudden it was as if he could see the movements of the enemy. He knew exactly where he would be. Obito spun around and stabbed at the camouflaged enemy that had come up behind him.