7-9

Chapter 7: She’s The Daughter Of A Killer

Ye family’s mansion.

Ye Ci walked into Su Yuan’s room.

“Mom, how’s your leg?”

Su Yuan was still feeling worried because of the mess Ye Chen made. She turned around, looking at Ye Ci with a worried look.

“Oh, it’s you, Little Ci. I’m fine. I took some meds, I think I’ll be fine after two days.”

Ye Ci walked over and sat next to her.

“Mom, are you still worried about Chen?”

Su Yuan put her fingers over her swollen temples.

“He was never a bad child. If not for Ning Li, he would never…”

Su Yuan did not really blame Ye Chen for the mess. Reading from in between the lines, she blamed the whole mishap on Ning Li instead.

She had already viewed Ning Li as a burden from the start, and as expected, the girl caused such a mess on her first day in the Ye family.

Then, she took a glance at the door.

“How’s Ning Li? Did she give you any trouble?”

Ye Ci shook her head.

“She went into her room and didn’t come out after that, but…”

A short pause and a hesitant look later, she added, “...when she walked past the painting room, she looked rather moody.”

Su Yuan frowned and started to recall what happened.

“Painting room? I heard she used to draw sketches for people on the streets…”

She abruptly stopped and somehow showed an awkward look.

Ning Li’s grandmother had been ill for years. She had been living off social welfare for the past few years.

Ning Li was forced to work at a young age. She had to take up all kinds of part-time jobs to support the family financially.

Su Yuan only found out about that recently, but when Ye Ci mentioned it, she somehow felt ashamed of Ning Li.

“I think she used to learn sketching from some random artist on the streets. She’s not even anywhere near as good as you.”

Ye Ci showed sympathy.

“It sounds like Big Sister Ning Li had been going through the mill in the past few years.”

Su Yuan felt relieved because she did not sense any contempt in Ye Ci’s words. She held her daughter’s hand.

“Little Ci, don’t worry. She’s just living here for a year.”

She planned to send Ning Li to a university in a foreign state after next year’s entrance exam. She would even settle for a specialized college.

Given Ning Li’s academic performance, Su Yuan did not place any hopes on her. Worst case scenario, she would have to spend extra to send Ning Li away.

“Huatsing Cup is around the corner. Don’t let this trivial matter affect your mood. Your father is waiting for your first place trophy.”

Ye Ci smiled a little more sincerely when her mother assured her.

“Mhmm.”

In the afternoon in a restaurant, the atmosphere at the dining table was dead silent and awkward.