91-93

Chapter 91: Exposed Relationship

Ye Ting had no interest to find out what Ning Li had prepared as a gift. She knew where Ning Li came from and heard that the girl used to work part-time just to earn enough to get by.

Given her poverty-stricken life, what kind of present could she possibly prepare? It was either a cheap gift or some artsy craft that she had made herself.

Su Yuan was a little surprised.

Given her understanding of her daughter’s character, she was glad that Ning Li even showed up, but gifts? She did not even think about it.

“I have two things I want to give you.” Ning Li then proceeded to unzip her bag and took out a small black box.

The square box was the size of her palm, but it looked rather old with one of the edges dented. At first glance, it was indeed some cheap gift.

Ye Ming did not say a word or react while Ye Ting scoffed silently.

Ye Cheng saw it and disgust was apparent on his face. “What garbage is that? How can you call this a gift? You might as well throw it into the garbage bin!”

Ye Ci had a quick glance at Su Yuan and noticed the surprise on her mother’s face.

Then, Ning Li put the box on the table and pushed it to Su Yuan who reluctantly picked it up.

When she held it in her hand, she realized that it was an accessory box, and it indeed was in a worn-out state.

Why would Ning Li give her this?

With that in mind, she opened the box.

A pearl necklace greeted her sight.

The pearl’s luster seemed standard, and its color was nothing stellar as well. It was definitely not an expensive gift. In fact, it looked rather cheap in this grand banquet hall, and it did not measure up to Su Yuan’s delicate dress and makeup.

Ning Li said, “This is the present that Dad prepared for you, but he obviously can’t make it, so I’m giving it to you on his behalf.”

Su Yuan’s heart skipped a beat. She suddenly realized something and looked at Ning Li in shock. She finally remembered where she had seen the pearl necklace before. It was from a distant memory that she had buried away.

Many years ago, on a certain day, she had walked past a shop and saw a pearl necklace that caught her eye. She coveted it, but at that time, Ning Haizhou did not have the money for it.

Back then, she soon grew weary of being with Ning Haizhou. In their shabby apartment located near the chaotic and noisy market, every noise that she heard was irritating.

They argued constantly without end.

Maybe because she had it with her life, or maybe because her accumulated anger and grievance exploded all at once, she decided to put it all behind her. After that final argument, she packed her things and left.

That fateful day was her birthday.

The very next day, Ning Haizhou met with a car accident.

The pearl necklace was said to be found at the scene of the crash, and it was returned to Ning Li’s grandmother.

After her grandmother passed away, Ning Li got hold of the pearl necklace.

At this moment, Su Yuan’s hands were shaking. Now, with her new life and status, the pearl necklace meant nothing to her. Back then though, maybe she did not really need the pearl necklace, but it was the fuse to that argument, or maybe it was just an excuse for her to leave.