37-39

Chapter 37: The Lady Beside Him

Ning Li stopped.

Her room was in the back part of the corridor, so the ladies must have gathered there to gossip about something.

“You’re right! I heard that she was previously in Lincheng, where she always skipped school and involved herself in fights. Now that she’s staying with the Ye family, she must have thought that she has changed from rags to riches.”

“Her father was a murderer! Have you seen the video that’s on the internet? She really looked like she was going to push that person down from the building. It scared the hell out of me!”

“I don’t understand why Second High didn’t expel her. Aren’t they keeping a time bomb by their side? I’m really impressed by how kind Uncle Ye and Lil Ci are.”

Suddenly, Ye Ci’s soft and gentle voice rang out. “There must be a reason for that incident. Big Sister Ning Li is quite a nice person.”

“Lil Ci, are you threatened by her? It’s not worth defending such a person. Oh yeah, I didn’t see her together with you and your family. Is she not attending the banquet?”

The lady, who was speaking, snorted.

“Ning Li must know that she’s a disgrace, so she purposely excused herself from the banquet, didn’t she? I heard that when she was in Lincheng back then, she had to work to earn a living. I’m afraid someone like that won’t even have a gown for tonight.”

The ladies snickered when they heard her words.

However, when Ye Ci heard those words, the smile on her face faded.

Then, what Cheng Xiangxiang told her on their call resurfaced in her mind.

Ye Ci simply smiled at them and provided no explicit answer.

“Big Sister Ning Li has something urgent to attend to last minute, so she didn’t come with us, and she––”

Click.

The door behind the ladies was suddenly open.

Ning Li stepped out of the guest room.

The ladies, who were gossiping, were so terrified that they quickly turned their heads to look.

Upon realizing it was Ning Li, contempt and ridicule immediately appeared on their faces.

Almost everyone recognized Ning Li now because of the incident on the internet that had caused an uproar.

One of the ladies lifted her chin and sized up Ning Li.

When she saw Ning Li’s bare but stunning face, she got envious. Nonetheless, when she realized that Ning Li was wearing jeans and a pair of white sneakers, she felt better.

“So, you’re Ning Li? Didn’t anyone ever teach you that it’s rude to eavesdrop?”

Ning Li glanced at the lady and her lips curled into a cold smile.

“Didn’t anyone ever teach you that talking behind someone’s back is not something to be proud of either?”

That simple sentence almost choked the lady to death.

“You!”

Suddenly, that lady took a look around her surroundings. As if she had thought of something, she raised her voice at Ning Li.

“Who knows what you’re doing here!? This is the Chengs’ residence. Do you think you can just walk in here?”

Ordinary guests were prohibited from entering the Cheng family’s guest rooms on the third floor.