Chapter 43

Back to my roots.
-T.C.

.

.

.

Jungkook soon returned, though the phone call seemed to have taken a toll on him, as his hair was by far messier than when he left. Whatever he was dealing with, it was stressing him out to the point that he was willing to ruin his perfect curls.

He started making his way towards you and when he reached the sofa, he was about to sit next to Yoongi when he realized his mistake, took a step back and then came over to you. Yujin didn't seem to notice anything, already too drunk to care about such insignificant details. He put his arm around your shoulder, leaning back as if it was the most normal thing.

"So, Yujin, any new exciting projects you're up to?" Jungkook asked. The young woman gave him a recap of what she already told you, then managed to shift the discussion towards Yoongi.

"Actually, I asked him if he could take pictures of my work backstage, but I can't seem to convince him."

"I told you, I'll do it if you pay me," Yoongi answered.

"We've known each other for what, a month? We're practically family. Who asks their family to pay them?"

"I do," Yoongi answered and emptied his glass. Yujin shook her head with a smile, then stood up and went to the kitchen, asking if anyone else wanted some water. When you all shook your heads, she left and Jungkook's arm remained around your shoulder, even though he could have easily taken it back, since everyone was too busy to pay you three any attention. Yoongi's eyes glanced over the scenario, though he did not open his mouth. 

Someone was making their way towards you. It was, yet again, Jackson, this time with a pair of sunglasses on, despite the living room being already dim. He threw himself next to Jungkook on the sofa, then pulled out another pair of sunglasses and clumsily tried to get Jungkook to put them on. At first he lazily slapped his hand away, but when Jackson further insisted, he let it happen with a sigh. 

"Come do shots with us!" Jackson screamed over the loud music. Jungkook shook his head and Yoongi chuckled at the reaction. "Come on, Jungkook! Like back in the day. Y/N, you have to convince him. Come with us to the kitchen."

It was indeed tempting to see Jungkook drunk, and considering that you were already on your second drink, three's the charm. You stood up, his hand falling from your shoulder only to rest on his lap. When he realized that you were about to leave, he decided to follow you. This time, his hand found its way to your waist, barely hovering over your skin, not even touching you. From the outside it must've looked like he was.

"Wait, I want shots too!" Yujin exclaimed and so the four of you made your way to the kitchen where a small group of people had gathered.

All the seats around the kitchen island were taken, so you could only lean against the countertop. Jungkook followed your example and settled his elbows on the sticky surface with a slightly disgusted look on his face. Jackson turned up the music, Yujin grabbed three paper cups and started pouring something into them, then she offered them to you.

"We're not just going to do shots and sit here in silence, are we?" someone asked. 

"Let's play something."

"How about two truths one lie? Someone tells us three things about themselves and if we guess which one the lie is, then they have to drink. If not, then everyone else drinks. We vote to decide on the lie."

You nodded. Fond memories of your freshman year of college resurfaced. You've played the game several times during your first semester and apart from some very inappropriate classmates, it was through this game that you befriended Hoseok. When it was his turn, he'd said that one: he'd been drunk on campus, two: he slept with two professors and three: he was here only because he liked chaos.

Neither two nor three were the lie.

You were going for more careful statements, still new to the whole college scene and afraid of making a fool out of yourself, but when Hoseok caught you in the hallway during a short break and suggested something more outrageous, you were already tipsy enough to go along with his idea. And that's the story how everyone at college started thinking you were a professional cocktail maker and soon after, you started getting invited to every campus party known to man. Surprisingly, you were fairly good at the job. It was just like cooking, except that you couldn't try and test the drink and were only left to guess whether it was truly good or rather disgusting.

Now you reverted back to your freshman days and stuck to harmless statements. Jungkook seemed to do the same thing, but unlike you, who already had experience with the game, his confusion was genuine. This was maybe also why he was bad at finding out others' lies and always voted for the wrong sentence. Thanks to him, you ended up having to take shots after every person.

Two full rounds and however many shots later, Yujin excused herself and went to the bathroom, face flushed red and her hair undone. You knew the look on her face all too well, having spent countless nights working until sunrise instead of sleeping, so before you followed her, you made sure to stop by Yoongi and ask for her purse. 

You found Yujin in the bathroom hunched over the toilet bowl.

"I should really stop drinking cheap alcohol," she joked when she heard you enter. For the moment, she seemed to be fine.

"Are you okay?" you still asked.

She nodded. "I'll stay here on the floor though. Don't wanna risk anything by standing up."

You crouched next to her, handing her her purse. "Do you want me to call a cab?"

She shook her head. "No, give me a few minutes. I'll just call my girlfriend to pick me up."

And so you waited with her. Ten minutes later you accompanied her downstairs and only when Yujin and her Jiho drove away did you go back upstairs and rejoined the game.

Just in time to see which three statements a tipsy Jungkook had to say.