Becoming A Leader

The apes gathered their dead, to perform a burial ceremony when they get back to their home. They grabbed weapons lying on the ground piling them up. Some took the abandoned supply crates, filled with food, smoke grenades, flash bang and exploding grenades, and ammunition from the warehouse, figuring it could be of use. Caesar had sent out scouts on patrol and they returned to him. They had reported to him, spotting a ship sailing by the San Francisco Bridge. What was strange to everyone was what the scouts told them next. They spotted a few humans on the ship, and they were sure that they had seen the scout apes on the bridge. But they didn't attack them. Caesar ordered everyone to head back to Ape Village and round up what was left of their home to move. It was no longer safe to stay there anymore. The humans now knew where they were. It was time to go somewhere else. North.

Caesar and Blue Eyes watched as they saw a few apes,

"Do you see? This is all that is left of our home. What Koba's fire did not destroy, nature has started to reclaim." Caesar told Blue Eyes.

"We could rebuild." Blue Eyes signed to his father. Caesar shook his head.

"No, humans know this place."

"Humans have already come." Blue Eyes signed. "But they did not attack us. What are humans waiting for?"

"They will come again. Humans think apes not smart," Caesar told him. "Apes must be smarter. Smarter than humans, smart enough to survive-to live."

"But father," Blue Eyes said a little softer now. "I-I am afraid." Caesar was also afraid. Afraid of losing his family, his wife, and his sons. He couldn't bare the thought of losing any of them. Caesar turned to him, seeing Blue Eyes looking back at him, quietly. In his sons eyes they were filled with so much fear, but also anger as well. Which made Caesar more worried. Like Koba's. He needed Blue Eyes to be an leader that protected apes to keep them safe, not blindly lead them into fighting.

"I am afraid to Blue Eyes," Caesar placed his hand on Blue Eye's shoulder. "Afraid like never before. This is why I ask you for help, my son." Blue Eyes blinked.

"I do not understand." He said, confused.

"It is not safe here," Caesar told him as he explained. "Apes need a safe place to live. A place far from humans. Where we can protect ourselves, where we can live in peace. But apes need more than that. Apes need a good leader-smart and strong. "

"You are a good leader, father." Blue Eyes signed.

"Someday I will grow old. I will die. Apes will need a new leader-smart and strong." Caesar replied, now placing both hands on Blue Eye's shoulders "You will be that leader, son. This is why I asked you to do this-to find a new home for apes. One safe from humans." Blue Eyes stared at him in shock. He felt an overwhelming sense of responsibility. It made him happy but also nervous as well. The fate all apes were on his hands now. But why him? Why not someone else? Didn't his father want him to help in the fight? Why was he sending him away?

"Today..." Caesar said. "Today is the day you start to learn what it means to be a leader."

"But father I can help you fight!" Blue Eyes signed, quickly. Caesar shook his head.

"No, Blue Eyes."

"But I can-"

"What about Lily?" Caesar spoke. Blue Eyes stopped. His eyes widened a little. "Are you willing to put her in danger? Humans are after her as well. If you fight, then she will most likely follow you and get even more hurt, captured, or killed."