look out for you

age 16

Y/N:
"Y/N Johansson! Get your ass downstairs!"

Oh no, that's not good.

I don't even know what I've done this time.

I very quickly stand up from my desk chair and run down the stairs, knowing that if I take too long she'll only get more scary. I love my mom, but when she wants to be she can be really scary. Like that time she found weed in my drawers...

"Where even are you?" I say, looking through the living room, kitchen and her office. "Laundry," She tells me. I can tell by the way she says it that she's already lost some patience.

"What's your excuse for this?" She deadpans, holding a packet of cigarettes. Obviously, I've accidentally left them in a pocket of one of my jackets. I scratch my head and scrunch my face up trying to come up with something to say. "You know, that's a funny story actually..."

"Don't bother lying to me Y/N, you know I can see right through you. Have you been smoking?" She scolds, crossing her arms over her chest and giving me such an intimidating look that I think I could probably just cripple any moment. However, I try to hide the fact that I'm completely and utterly scared of her right now.

"Do we really have to do this? You ask if I've been smoking, I say no, we both know that's not true. I mean, aren't we point this part of her relationship?" I sigh heavily. "Don't give that attitude," she warns. "I'm not giving you 'attitude' I'm just being honest like you asked me to," I shrug.

Mom throws her head into her hands and lets out a groan of very obvious frustration. "I'm sorry, I won't do it again," I tell her. "What the smoking or the giving me attitude?"
"The smoking. I can only try to not give you attitude, but I'm not making promises I can't keep," I shrug with a small smile, trying to lighten up the mood.

"I ever find out that you've been smoking again, you'll be grounded for a month and I will rip all your books in half," she tells me sternly. "Not the books," I gasp.

"How many times did you do it?" She questions. Her tone a little more relaxed now. "Only once, and it was because everyone else was doing it and I felt pressured," I say. She tilts her head and glares at me. "I mean it. I'm not just saying that to make you feel better," I admit. "You promise?"
"I promise. Look I'm not even crossing my fingers," I giggle slightly, holding up my hands.

"Okay," she says, "Now give me a hug. I don't like getting angry at you."
I smile softly and walk closer to her. Her arms wrap around my body and I rest my head on her shoulder.

"Do you forgive me?" I mumble, feeling myself start to get upset. My stupid go-to emotion is to cry.

"Of course," she giggles slightly, squeezing my body before letting go and kissing my forehead. "Oh honey, you don't need to cry," she laughs softly as she wipes the few tears that had fallen.

"I'm sorry," I say. "It's okay, Bubba. I know that you're a teenager and you're going to do stupid things," she laughs, "But I'm still your mama and I'm just trying to look out for you."

I smile with a slight nod. "I love you," I say. "I love you too," she smiles softly and kisses my forehead again before pulling me back in for a hug.

____________
A/N: this is very short so I guess it's more like a drabble but I hope you enjoyed!
peep the Modern Family quote

And incase nobody has told you today, you are so loved and so worthy and I'm so happy that you're still here, this world is a better place with you in it! there's always hope, even when you can't see it <3