Chapter 3

A/N: And our vampire, of course.

~~~

My knees locked and my legs refused to move as he took me to the stairs I could now see at the right of the stage, every fiber of my being begging me to turn and run.

The second I get handed over, the second this chain ends up in this vampire's hands, through every law of this territory I become his property. His to do whatever he pleased with little to no repercussion.

I knew my plan, I knew my intentions, but that didn't make that fact any less daunting.

The man walked with us, his overall form just barely becoming something I could see... I think he was wearing a hood.

"Thank you for your patronage," Mace spoke, handing out the chain to the one he spoke to, "We hope that you'll visit again soon, though, with that one, you might not have to."

I clung to that small implication that my life wouldn't be ended before I get the chance to run, and used it to help in keeping myself together.

I was almost sure I had enough blood right now to quell a vampire's thirst and still be able to function properly.

It still wasn't enough to combat everything else. My wrists were still bound behind me, my neck attached to a chain that some new vampire now has possession over.

His hand disappeared back into the darkness, and a hard press against my back forced me to stagger down the steps and into the darkness.

All my luck today went into the fact that I didn't end up falling on my face, and had it in me to turn and give him one final sneer.

He mirrored it with a snarky smile before turning and getting back to working up the crowd.

A chill crashed over me at the sight of his back to me, realizing that while I was done with one vampire, I now had to figure out another.

I cautiously turned my head the other way still working and begging my nose to not become any more stuffed, and again for my eyes to adjust quickly.

He was indeed wearing a hood. One that made it so that I couldn't for the life of me make out any feature other than his eyes.

Eyes that looked... void of anything I could make out.

There wasn't a glare or hint of intimidation in them yet. If anything they looked to just be slightly hooded while they looked me over once more.

He stood tall. Maybe about six inches taller than me if I had to guess from the once-over I gave him in return.

My heart still raced at the current inability I had to make any kind of immediate conclusion as who whose hands I was in.

He didn't give me time to deduce anything else before he turned and I was forced to follow.

Every hiss of an inhale could surely be heard by those around me with how hard I needed to force it through.

I couldn't tell if it was the subtle suffocation that finally pushed the tears to my eyes, which then only made it worse, or if it was the weight of my newly sealed fate.

I had quite a lot right now to choose as the culprit.

He lead me up towards what must have been the front of the shop. The closer we got to it, the more light began to show, which left me greeted with shorty yet again sitting behind a desk waiting for us.

He didn't give me anything more than a single glance, almost looking relieved by my presence about to leave.

Collecting a few things on his desk, he set a yellow file in front of him.