Chapter 31

-Kira-

He tried to catch himself with his back against the door but only succeeded in allowing his descent down onto the floor, knees bent and hands strewn with tense fingers making more of a mess of his hair.

His head was angled down to where I couldn't see, but even from here, I could hear his desperate, uneven breaths.

Not a single inch of him was relaxed and certain parts of him trembled as he pulled his limbs closer to himself.

It was a terrible, unbecoming sight. Another strange once- too many strange ones from him in this short amount of time.

He knows I have blood to spare, tells his sister to take his instead, and was now reduced to this...

Why would he..? What was even going on?

A prince riddled down into this.

It pulled at something strange in me, and rose something else up in the same moment.

An idea and an offer all in one.

My blood had given him strange energy before right?

I needed to get rid of some anyway... it was a win-win that most likely would not be presenting itself again.

My body decided on its own, stepping carefully into the room and over to him.

I had no idea how I was going to present this, but he didn't look much to be in a state of forward-thinking either.

"Lucien," My voice took the tone of a soft question, one that immediately got the rather quick reaction on him lifting his head.

Just barely. Just enough for me to see a single golden eye with a pupil stretched into almost nothing, still with that hardenedness I knew him by.

It was there, but it slipped. It cracked for only half a second to show the agony anybody with eyes could tell that he was feeling.

"Get back in your room," The command was weak and doubtful even in itself.

He wouldn't want pity. I could see that in him just about as much as I knew it within myself.

"Kira," He bit while I continued to step closer, forcing as much power as he could into my name alone, and still having it come out feeble. More like a plea.

I swallowed before squaring my shoulders.

"If you're not going to let her take my blood, then you need to," I started, strong and convincing.

His lips parted a minuscule amount, and the tightness of his brows lessened.

I continued, rubbing my left wrist with my right thumb.

"It's getting bad and... and I don't want to have to do it with a blade. I figured you'd appreciate it more if I do it this way too."

I made sure not a hint of 'looking down at him' could be heard in my voice, and in fact added the annoyance I knew he associated with me at this point.

And it worked with the way he was now looking at me.

Like I had just offered him the world and he absolutely hated it.

Maybe not hated... Maybe just didn't want to admit that he didn't hate it.

A feeling I was growing more accustomed to lately it felt like.

He wasn't stupid, as much as I hated to admit, and I was sure he knew exactly what I was doing.

Even more of a reason for him to look at me like that.