Chapter 29

-Kira-

It took me a few days.

A few days of mourning, of processing, of grieving, of rotting in this room and doing absolutely nothing else.

Derryk and Lucien were the only things keeping me fed, and half the time I just ate out of spite because I didn't want the vampire to know that my body was still greatly rejecting the thought of food.

He'd seen me at some of my worsts now, and I had to pretend at least like I had it together in front of him because of that.

I couldn't even get up and do things when I couldn't sleep because he rarely sleeps too.

As the days passed and the wave of emotions ran its course, I began to seek out a different kind of comfort just for familiarity.

Especially with the evergrowing internal discomfort from my blood growing with each passing day.

I was yearning for affection because that was still how I was so used to doing these things.

Gabe was out of the picture and I couldn't even dwell on him without wincing and having tears quickly threatening me, so the next available man in my mind was apparently Lucien.

Which made sense. He was the only other one I'd slept with, and it was... enlightening, but that didn't mean that I thought the desire was warranted.

It wasn't, which was why it was the same desire that got me to actually get up, shower, and get out of this room for a while.

It was a nice change of pace feeling some sun and actually getting up and moving around again.

Taking in the space I was forced into for what it was.

A nice, clean, spacious, well taken care of, large areas that provided a lot to do...

Eugh. Well, when I say it like that.

Take away the royal vampires and the fact that there's no way out and most people would consider this a perfect little getaway.

But I can't exactly ignore those two wildly important points, I can only consider myself lucky that I rarely if ever ran into any of the princesses.

I wandered aimlessly across the floor until my autopilot inevitably took me to the kitchen, wanting the comfort that my little seat at the corner of the bar brought me.

What greeted me near there instead was a familiar face, and his green eyes lit up with a gasp when he saw me.

"Kira!" Riley exclaimed, sitting straighter in his seat at the bar where he ate his lunch, and startling the handful of other humans in here, "Holy crap I thought you were dead! I haven't seen you in days!"

I breathed out as much of a laugh as I could before realizing that he probably wasn't entirely kidding.

"Right Derryk?" He turned to the cook, who in his moment of rare free time, leaned back with his elbows against the bar to chat with the much younger boy.

"I've been asked to make extra food for somebody in that room for the past week, so I wouldn't say my assumptions went that far," He replied with that soft, calming smile he always typically wore, bowing his head and straightening himself before speaking again, "It's nice to see your face again, Kira."

I blinked through the weird, warm clench in my chest. At the welcoming atmosphere, and genuine smiles I hadn't realized I'd been missing recently.

"Yeah, sorry I just had uh..." My brows furrowed and lips tightened together, unsure of how much of what happened I should even say to them.