Chapter 34

-Lucien-

The sleep I got was short but very fulfilling nonetheless.

Three hours of restfulness that was so hard for me to obtain on my own.

Even know, with the internal high of her blood gone from my body, I could still feel its lingering effects.

Or, Should I say, feel them fizzling away.

I'd be more saddened if the effects were leaving me at a lower place, but I was rather fine with the percentage I was left with.

It made for one of the most optimal and accomplished mornings I've had in a while, allowing me to actually enjoy a cup of coffee instead on depend on it.

Plants were watered, my desk was organized, and my intention to not interact with another living soul that would ruin this for me was in full effect.

I held my cup of hot coffee close to my chest, exhaling a deep sigh while I watched the fire from my couch.

Ease of mind anybody meant finally some ease into relaxation. Probably the most impossible thing I could accomplish.

It was a rare occurrence where both my mental and physical state were content.

My physical state was a given, and my mental had many factors that only rarely lined up to grant me this peace.

My sister was sated for the time being, my 'father' wouldn't be wanting me to attend anything any time soon, Evie should be in relatively good spirits from her date, and the hellfire woman I had co-habitating my room had been temporarily tamed.

At least, she should be. I knew there was a chance that the calmness I saw from her last night was a mask or a product of her exhaustion, but a man could hope.

After what we agreed upon, she should be. She better be. I hope she is for everyone's sake.

I could hear her stirring in her room, which was what prompted this thought process, hearing her get out of bed and groan at the world for a bit.

Off to a great start.

Typically she'd spend a few moments changing her clothes or doing whatever it is girls do once they wake up, but she instead headed right for her door and opened it, entering my vision with a yawn.

Her hair was an absolutely unbrushed mess, flattened on one side and knotted on the other.

She spared a look at herself in the mirror for who whole blinks before she just kept walking into here.

She met my gaze with... disinterest... I think. Compared to the glares or dismissiveness I was used to, that word was the closest thing I could compare it to.

She wasn't looking at me like a threat or an obstacle, just as a roommate now I suppose.

A welcome change to go with this day.

She scrunched up her nose, blinking like she was still half asleep.

It was around 8 in the morning. Usually, she didn't come out of her room until 10. That, added to the middle-of-the-night- chat we had, she too had gotten less sleep than she was used to.

"I'm gonna go get breakfast," She drawled, partially dragging her feet against the ground.

Jesus, she looked like me. It was like for this morning, we switched.

Perhaps I did take a little too much blood from her then...

Nevermind, knowing her, if I did, then she would most definitely be complaining my head off.

"Looking like that?" I commented.

She stopped for a moment, thinking over my words, then disregarding them with a shallow sigh.

"Who the hell do I have to impress around here?" She asked.

Fair point... I guess. I think I prefer anything over her obsessing over that scum of an ex.

If she wanted to walk around looking like that I wasn't going to stop her, but-

"On a floor with a few royal princesses, if any of them were to see you, a select two might throw a fuss that will eventually go from being your problem to mine." I took another careless sip from my drink, savoring the bold flavor coffee could only obtain if made by Derryk's hands.

She just stared at the door blankly, giving me nothing but another sigh.

"I guess I'll just order it in then," She surrendered, already turning towards my bed where the phone was to do just that.

"Wonderful choice," I stated with a hint of sarcasm, "What's got you up so early anyway? If anything you look like you should just go to bed."

"You're one to talk," her words weren't snappy, her exhaustion winning over any other hint of any other emotion.

It was another few steps until she gave me a real answer, "I kind of slept. I've just been... thinking about recent events."

"Regretting our deal already?" I wondered, having danced around the idea myself already this morning.

As to what I'd do if she did, if she tried to back out of what I deemed to be a relatively fair.

No real conclusions were drawn, but ideas had been thrown out.

Or maybe it was more so about the things that happened a little further in the past.

"What? No, well-" She cut herself off to gather her own thoughts, "I'm just trying to figure out what to do from here. I'm... accepting what my life's become, I think. I dunno. With everything going on I just want to go on autopilot for a little bit while everything processes and sinks in on its own."

She continued her journey to the phone from there, and I watched until she was gone from my sight.

I made sure to check that mark on her neck right before she disappeared.

I knew my bite was desperate but I didn't need that reminder permanently marking her skin in a place she'd never think about but I'd always see.

It took me more than a second to even notice it before she disappeared, which I took to be a good sign.

I listened faintly as she ordered her meal, figuring that if she needed some peace of her own, then I was more than set to get what I needed from this day of peace before my own body decided to strip it from me once again.