Chapter 19

-Lucien-

Watching Kira fumble around an appology to Derryk was an interesting sight to behold.

It was the first full sentence I'd heard from her since her hangover yesterday. Save for a few snippy, defensive glances or words when she had to face me to come get the food Derryk kept sending to properly have her recover.

Her bedroom reeked with a variety of thick and depressing scents so I didn't even bother prodding.

Her apology to him was quickly followed by many attempts at making it up to him. Seeing her insist on doing his dishes for the day or stock his food stocks was perfect for my morning entertainment.

Of course, he denied her attempts an insisted her apologies weren't needed and that she was.

I left after it got boring and my meal was finished, taking some time out of my day to simply walk through the castle's gardens.

I woke up feeling... good. Not exceptional or anything, but good enough to be able to forget about my constant debilitating existence.

It let me go and offer help to my older sisters with whatever that had to deal with as the 'real' heirs, and my energy level was decent enough to let me get through all fo that without the need for a break.

I only saw Kira again when I went back to the kitchen for a very late dinner.

She was sitting in that same spot at the bar, awkwardly twiddling her thumbs or whatever while watching Derryk cook.

Her expression soured and hardened the second I stepped in, however.

Dunno what I did to deserve that, but it really wasn't worth dwelling on.

She's probably just embarrassed I had to carry her back. It didn't seem like she remembered much about anything else that she said to me.

If she did I felt as if she would have said something to try to cover her boyfriends ass by now.

Which kinda sucked because all of that was definitely something to be embarrassed about.

I sat down at my designated spot on the other side of the bar, keeping an eye on her just in case.

If this was where she chose to spend her days instead of in my room, I wasn't going to complain.

It kept her out of my hair. I just wanted to make sure she wasn't halfway to getting waisted again.

Once I smelled that she wasn't, I focused on getting my meal and enjoying my dinner in some peace in quiet.

Evie and Adi were eating with dad, Layla was probably off antagonizing the Vanderwoods, and all of the staff had already eaten.

So it was just her and I, and I hoped she just kept quiet.

To my surprise, she did. Not even sending me more than an occasional glance while she snacked on the bite-sized whatevers Derryk made her.

I liked my silence, and I liked my privacy to be silent. I just didn't like eating all cooped up in my room when I had the energy not to be. It was just something I did out of respect for the past and future me's that would be forced to stay stuck in my room.

It was these little things that I had to find my own enjoyment in, and so I did.

Or at least I tried. Of course with most things, this came with an interruption. Though not the one that I'd seen coming

The sound of the door opening lead me to turn my head, surprised to see my eldest sister walking in.

Her head swiveled over the entirety of the bar, her face dropping into something halfway devastating the moment she stopped me.