Chapter 27

-Kira-

I didn't like how he followed silently five feet behind me as I approached the white brick house.

No snide comments, or cheeky remarks. Nothing.

The one time I did look back at him he was just blandly looking this whole area over like he does with basically everything else.

Which was really ruining the excitement I should be feeling walking up to the house I knew so well, or just the general freedom of getting off of that damned floor.

He said he didn't plan on being a part of it, yet insisted to stand by and watch?

I didn't understand his plan until he just kept walking once I approached the front door. Down to the side of the house where he wouldn't be seen by someone opening the door, and could simply turn and be out of sight.

Trying to make sure I don't just up and run, huh? As if he couldn't just track me down and take me back.

Whatever. He isn't the main event of this day, this was.

I straightened my back and kicked the vampire from my mind, the faint smell of home I could grab just being outside lifting a relieved smile onto my face.

Finally... I'm back. Even if just for a moment I'm back.

The life I started with wasn't completely out of my grasp. Not yet. Now I had hope.

I stood forward onto my toes to knock on the door, rocking back and forth from my heels back to my toes the more the excitement got to me.

I get to feel his warmth, I get to see him again after all this time, I get to hear his voice finally!

My heart continued to thump during the minutes it took before the sound of the door unlocking.

I thought it was going to leap from my chest the moment the door opened, and out emerged the object of my affection, the source of my fight to get out of this situation.

His short, copper hair showed the bedhead I was well acquainted with, the hazel eyes he'd just finished rubbing growing wide at the sight of me for a split second before they narrowed.

I staggered at the shift change, at the complete opposite of the expression I was expecting.

Where was his excitement? His relief? Any part of mirroring what I was feeling after being away for this long?

"Damn," Was the first thing he said, his mouth twisting into a sour expression, "Didn't think I'd ever be seeing you again."

Like getting punched in my throat, I wavered, drawing back at the words just spoken to me.

"What... What do you mean?" A little nervous excuse of a laugh bubbled the end of my sentence, pleading for that tone of his I'd been clinging to.

For the man I've been hyping up ever since I got thrown into this.

Please...please I needed this so badly.

He didn't say much through his disturbed confusion, looking down at me like the nothing I'd become since the last time I saw him.

He couldn't know what I'd been through, and maybe that's why it made me feel so exposed, so frozen and taken aback.

The ice-cold gaze of a man I was expecting warmth from... Where was it?

Where was any of it? Why now was he looking at me like the last years of our lives didn't happen?

He was upset, and when he was upset all I'd have to do was offer him something that I knew he wanted.