Chapter 33

-Kira-

The silence between us was strange.

Strange in a 'I'm not used to silence feeling this way, especially after that kind of conversation'.

I was used to that choking sort of silence, the one where I knew I had to scramble to fix something, or something was about to go horribly wrong.

This was comfortable, if I dare to even call it that. He'd said what he wanted to say and left me to ponder it without any disruptions.

And somehow, with the weight of the topic at hand, he didn't seem to hold any of it on his end.

There weren't any glaring nudges, any pressing expectations, nothing. Instead, he just continued to stare at the fire that was now warming both of us.

I was still admittedly fascinated by how the light from the flames reflected in the gold of his eyes.

I drew my knees up to my chest, taking the chance amongst the movement to subtly trail fingers over where his fangs had been.

Freedom. He'd offered me freedom. Eventual freedom, but realistically, what other choice was I going to get.

I wasn't exactly the biggest fan of what my life has turned into, yet at the same time, if I even happened to escape from here now, where would I go?

Freedom, Erik's cure for me, royal access given this floor, and a vamiric prince's sworn protection until then.

A very strange vampiric prince, but nonetheless...

The risks that came with his plans were oppertunities if looked at differently, and a part of me was scared that I was just conforming to that thought process out of hopelessness or something else born from my life getting fucked over three consistent times.

I too stared at the fire, letting it all sink in with no rush.

I already felt like I had my answer, but I just wanted to be sure of it before I spoke it out loud.

The resorces on a royal floor were too good to pass up. So was my cure.

For that, I could agree to his terms.

After all...

My gaze trailed back to him, sending unwelcome memories of what we'd done in his bed through my mind.

I tensed and sucked in a quick breath, averting my gaze before my thoughts decide to get even worse.

I really needed to work on when those kinds of thoughts enter my mind, but my reaction to them had that glowing gold of his eyes now focusing on me with a raise in his brows.

Ooooookaaaaay let's focus on literally anything else.

"So, what's up with that club you frequent?" The words just poured out of my mouth with no foresight.

It was the only thing I could think of.

Cool Kira, really straying away from that topic, aren't you?

I was mentally punching myself, nearly missing the way his eyes narrowed in confusion, and he blew out what sounded to be a breath of a... laugh?

It was so quiet and quick, I couldn't hardly tell.

"You mean the brothel?" He poked fun at my terminology for it, barely straying from his typically stoic tone. In my defence, I dont think I was completely wrong, "There's not too much to tell about it. The ins and outs are kind of alot to explain unless you're there to see it."