Chapter 28

-Lucien-

She held it together well walking away. Better than I anticipated.

She didn't scream, didn't audibly cry, and most surprisingly, didn't look back.

The first two were telling. Her silence wasn't easily attainable I'd learned, but this certainly would have put most people in that state.

I knew this was going to be a shit show. Hell, that's why I offered it. I wanted a show, which I got, though it ended up going a little bit differently than I'd anticipated.

I'd really underestimated the level of fuckery this man had been feeding her. That and the level of basic human respect

The bar was already scarily low and yet he made them continue to fall.

She loved him. For some reason she loved him and here's where it got her.

I watched her quick steps back to the car, keeping my typical slower gait and seeing her arms cross and her head tuck down.

The bits and pieces of what I knew were enough to cut her a bit of slack knowing she hadn't been dealt the best cards in life. We were similar there.

That may have been why things became difficult to watch once I noticed her starting to fall apart.

She figured it out. She learned the lesson I'd always guessed was there.

It was the least I could do to pull her out and save her more of the embarrassment from letting that continue.

Any more of that and I was going to start raising an issue.

I just couldn't believe that people like him existed amongst humans.

I knew enough about people reigning unwarranted superiority over the powerless

Kira didn't waste a second hopping back into the car, and I followed suit at my own pace and after instructing my driver to just take us back home.

She sat in the far corner, turned, and faced out the window with her hand pressed firmly against her mouth.

There was an attempt to hide her tears behind that long, black hair, but my other senses told me enough of what I needed to know.

I took a seat on the opposite side, and decided to stay quiet too. There wasn't anything to rub in her face that she wasn't now already aware of, and I didn't entertain the idea of pointing out the obvious.

Or fighting with someone who didn't have any left.

I liked relatively fair ground, or at least prodding someone who had a fighting spirit.

Typically she would bite back, but this silence told a story that I was decent enough to let be.

I knew enough what it felt like to not have anything left and to want nothing more than just to be left alone, so for now, that's what I'll do.

_ __ ___ __ _

-Kira-

This bed was all I had left to hope for comfort, the weight of this blanket being the only thing left holding me together.

'Holding me together' through the box of tissues and buckets of tears I've gone through for the past day.

I just didn't get it. I didn't understand how things just kept getting worse.

I didn't get how I didn't see the signs, how I didn't notice, how he was able to just get on with me that easily.

He was all I had left and now... now I had nothing from my past to hold on to. I had absolutely nothing left to show me as different from the rest of the pets.