Chapter 30

-Kira-

It had been an oddly quiet day.

It started as much given that I woke up deciding that I felt like being lazy and just stay here, except when I went to get food.

I hadn't seen the vampire that I live with all day, but I knew that he was here in the room hidden behind those curtains.

Today was probably one of those days where he's being extra strange, so I didn't question or bother him.

He'd given me my space when I needed it... oddly enough, so it was only fair.

I stepped into his room while rubbing a towel through my hair, trying to get the least amount of moisture onto these clothes after my shower.

Still empty as far as I could see, but the fire was still burning low to keep this room unfairly warmer than mine.

I listened for a moment through the faint crackling of said fire for any other sign of life in this room.

It was times like these that I wondered just how powerful those vampiric senses were.

I couldn't hear anything, but also didn't care enough to step any further into the room to find out.

I turned on my heel, ready to dry off the rest of my hair before becoming a hermit in this room for the rest of the night.

My second step to do just got interrupted by a rather frantic knocking at the door.

I turned my head back to look at it, then flicked over to the curtains I was sure Lucien was behind.

The knocks ceased just long enough for me to resume my intention, then start the cycle all over again when they started again.

I never thought a knock could sound so desperate or important. It was enough to get me to actually turn and walk back the few steps into his room with the thought to open it.

That thought only lasted so long, however.

It wasn't anything I ordered. I doubted that whatever it was had anything to do with me.

Last time I opened his door it was one of his sisters, and it was obvious that he wasn't happy with that decision either.

Right...

I just stayed in the doorway, listening to the knocking until the faintest sound of rustling grabbed my attention instead.

Followed by a low groan and a curt sigh.

I was somewhat expecting the curtains to come flying open, but what I saw instead was somehow even more off-putting.

He emerged right by the wall, pushing the curtain aside with one arm while the other pressed against the wall for support he badly looked like he needed.

He looked... awful.

There was a wince haunting his features, and his breaths were too heavy to be normal given what he was doing.

He was pale, the darkness under his eyes showing now more than I'd ever seen.

'Violently sick' was the descriptor that came to mind, but I knew that vampires didn't get sick. Not like this. Not since a few hundred years at least.

I still didn't know what was wrong with him. Just that something existed, and showed at various times.

I held my breath watching him stagger from his cave and slowly inch his way toward the noise coming from the door.

My back straightened when he spotted me, his own movements paying for a brief moment to just look at me while I looked at him.

He didn't say anything, and per usual, I couldn't read his face. He just squeezes his eyes shut for a second and let out another sigh before carrying on.