Chapter 8

-Kira-

I sat on the edge of this bed, feet resting on the chest below and drew in slow, deep breaths.

I could feel it all over when I woke up this morning, the consequences of pushing this off longer and longer.

A burning ache sat in the center of my chest and felt like it got worse every time my heart pumped. The same went for my evergrowing headache that had my keeping my eyes shut and my face in my hands.

I hadn't yet eaten today. I didn't want to risk that cursed unavoidable panic I'd experience every time I stepped out of this room.

The reminder that I was trapped didn't need to settle in against until I was back to normal. I didn't want to risk pushing my heart further than it could go.

Instead, I waited in silence for that doctor he mentioned yesterday, hoping more than anything that he was serious about it

I didn't care by what method, I just needed something.

Who am I kidding, once this doctor looks me over and Lucien gets the confirmation he's looking for, I'll most likely end up being his newest snack.

My mind was split on that matter, hating the thought, but almost wishing for it out of pure desperation to make this feeling go away.

Desperate and trapped. Lucky fucking me.

I pulled my hands down my face, taking a moment to count my heartbeats. Count how many happened in the span of ten seconds.

It was something I had to learn to keep track of from a young age. Dad would always ask me once every few hours after injecting me with his 'magical cure' to fix this illness of mine.

Fourteen. Not bad.

It definitely spiked, however, when a sudden knocking on the door jolted me onto my feet.

I stared at the door in shock at the fact that he didn't just let himself in, and took a moment to recompose myself.

The doctor, it had to be them right?

The one to greet me on the other side of the door, however, was the same, gloomy vampire.

My brows knitted out of instinct, masking every ounce of suffering the moment I saw him.

That same narrowed, tired expression as always, now mixed with the sight of his hands in the pockets of the sweats I've noticed he favors.

"Doc's here. Don't make this complicated." was all he said before turning and walking away.

Well, good morning to you too, dick.

I waited until he was back in his room before following.

The sight of the other person in the room was not one I was prepared for.

The tall figure stood over by the fireplace, pulling and situating things from a bag.

Fluffy brown hair sat in waves around his head, and he wore a long sleeved black shirt that was tucked into his jeans at the hips, with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows.

Holy shit this guy was like... really good-looking.

One look at his mouth when he turned to face us and smiled told me exactly why.

He was a vampire... right. They all look like that.

My stomach twisted a bit at the realization, though I don't know why I was surprised.

There was an odd kindness in his eyes I'd never seen on a vampire- or well, anyone for that matter.

Maybe my desperation had something to do with it.