Chapter 6

We walked silently- I walked silently, stewing in the adrenaline staggering through my body in some sort of twisted aftershock.

The two in front of me chatted quietly amongst themselves, occasionally checking to make sure I was still there.

They were in my periphery, though I was more just keeping my eyes on the floor, trying to get myself to calm down.

I could already feel the chest pain and the headache starting to bloom. My blood pressure had to be through the roof right now.

It was a miracle that I didn't fall into a full-on heart attack.

It's never happened before... thank god, but I knew the risks my condition gave me, and felt like that was the closest it's ever gotten.

My hand clutched my shirt in the middle of my chest, digging my nails into the fabric.

I hated that the shock and the weight of the reality that just became crystal clear to me weren't helping me calm down as much as I'd liked.

How was I supposed to calm down knowing what I do now?

No escape, and a floor full of royal vampires.

The children of the man who knew of my family and hated our last name enough to have us slaughtered.

What if they did too?

I found temporary relief in the fact that my last name didn't follow me to that shop, but it wasn't enough to save me from everything else.

"You doing okay back there?"

My head rose back to Marcus, the look on my face and my hand placement giving him enough of an answer.

"Yeah..," He sighed, slowing down his gait enough to where we were walking side by side, "They look intimidating, but there's probably less to worry about than you think."

My brows drew together, appreciating the attempt, but not feeling it work.

These boys must be indoctrinated in some way to not see a problem with this. Not that I could blame them for it, but there was absolutely a lot to be worrying about right now.

Still, he continued.

"Princess Evelyn is just a little intense, but she's always been all words and no action when it comes to that intensity. It's all she needs as you've already guessed."

'a little'?? I thought I was about to get pulverized under the thick tension she brought with her into the room.

"Princess Adeline is definitely the safest to be around, and luckily for the future of this territory, she's the most level-headed. Her and Evelyn are practically inseparable, so she'll always be there to ensure nothing gets taken too far."

Okay... I didn't want to admit it, but this information was helping me feel just a bit better.

Unknowns were frightening, so even filling them with these basic facts on the sisters was enough to make it lessen.

"And Princess Layla.., well..." his words died off, eyes squinting in thought,

"As long as you're not her pet, you don't have to worry," Riley finished for him, taking up my left side.

"Yeah," Marcus sighed out very quietly.

I waited a few seconds for them to keep going. To get to the part where they talk about the vampire I was actually stuck with.

They didn't, so I did.

"And Lucien?" I pressed, dropping my hand down to my side.

I look at both of them in their silence didn't give me much hope. Watching them try to whip up some sort of answer.